Citizenship Question

Deakon

Registered Users (C)
I was adopted in the Philippines at the age of 10 by a US citizen. I have an amended birth certificate with my US citizen adopted fathers last name.

At the age of 16 I came to the United States and received an Alien Card making me a permanent resident and also got my social security card.

I had a falling out with my adopted dad and became a ward of the state of Maryland. At the age of 18 my alien card was set to expire so we went to Baltimore to renew my alien card with my case worker. We were told that I did not have to do anything as I was adopted by an American Citizen at such an early age.

I am 37 now and all these years I have thought to be an American Citizen until I was flagged by E-verify. I have contacted Social Services and they have documentation of our visit with INS back in 1989 and that no other instructions were given to them regarding my Citizenship.

So my question is due to being adopted by an american Citizen, have I derived Citizenship through my adopted father and need to fill out an N-600 or do I not qualify and have to fill out an N-400?

Thank you in advance,

you should move this to the US citizenship section. I don't think anyone will see it here. :p

hi there,

I read something about related on your question.. the best thing to do is to ask for a lawyer help.. :)

I had a falling out with my adopted dad and became a ward of the state of Maryland. At the age of 18 my alien card was set to expire so we went to Baltimore to renew my alien card with my case worker. We were told that I did not have to do anything as I was adopted by an American Citizen at such an early age.