Citizenship Interview

Lmendez1033

Hello,
I became a permanent resident in 2012, I’ve decided to finally naturalize. I came to the USA in 1999 as a visitors visa and overstayed. I met my husband he is a US citizen by birth we had a daughter and that’s how I obtained my permanent resident card obviously years later. I lost the initial passport we arrived in the US with, however I have two passports since then one expired one active. My question is do I need the original passport I arrived with for this interview.?
Second question. If they asked me how did I come into this country? How do I reply? Should I say on a visitors visa?
I know I overstayed my visa and I know I’m a legal permanent resident now and eligible for my citizenship but I’m paranoid about the over stayed visa part I’m scared to naturalized is this normal? No criminal history haven’t left the country and have been filing my taxes.

Hello,
I became a permanent resident in 2012, I’ve decided to finally naturalize. I came to the USA in 1999 as a visitors visa and overstayed. I met my husband he is a US citizen by birth we had a daughter and that’s how I obtained my permanent resident card obviously years later. I lost the initial passport we arrived in the US with, however I have two passports since then one expired one active. My question is do I need the original passport I arrived with for this interview.?
Second question. If they asked me how did I come into this country? How do I reply? Should I say on a visitors visa?
I know I overstayed my visa and I know I’m a legal permanent resident now and eligible for my citizenship but I’m paranoid about the over stayed visa part I’m scared to naturalized is this normal? No criminal history haven’t left the country and have been filing my taxes.

Yes, you will be asked for all passports & your green card but you can tell them that you lost one. This will not bar you from naturalization.

If asked You should tell them the truth that you entered on a visitor visa. They already know about it from DoS records. Your illegal overstay was waived when you adjusted based on your marriage to USC so there is no issue there. This is extremely common. In fact if you lie about it, they may deny you under 8 CFR 316.10 (b)(vi), which is lack of good moral character due to false testimony under oath.

Yes, you will be asked for all passports & your green card but you can tell them that you lost one. This will not bar you from naturalization.

If asked You should tell them the truth that you entered on a visitor visa. They already know about it from DoS records. Your illegal overstay was waived when you adjusted based on your marriage to USC so there is no issue there. This is extremely common. In fact if you lie about it, they may deny you under 8 CFR 316.10 (b)(vi), which is lack of good moral character due to false testimony under oath.
Thank You So Much! I feel so much better.
Also, I received a 75 dollar fine from a transit officer for not stamping my ticket appropriately should I mentioned this, because it says don’t mention fines under 500?

Thank You So Much! I feel so much better.
Also, I received a 75 dollar fine from a transit officer for not stamping my ticket appropriately should I mentioned this, because it says don’t mention fines under 500?

There is no legal clarity about what “citations” need to be included. Lawyers seem to have different opinions if minor violations like parking and speeding tickets need to be included. You can mention it during the interview if you want to. But if you mention it they may ask the proof of payment. based on the case law I read, it’s not material to naturalization as per the statute.

Last edited:
Ok great! Also, when I worked as a Manager in a wireless store a customer called the cops on the store employees and on me for a dispute on her phone bill, since I was the store manager the cop asked for my ID. The lady ended up getting banned from the mall because she assaulted on of my employees which was pregnant at the time. The officer said he needed to take my info down because the lady called the cops on the store. Should I mention this?

Ok great! Also, when I worked as a Manager in a wireless store a customer called the cops on the store employees and on me for a dispute on her phone bill, since I was the store manager the cop asked for my ID. The lady ended up getting banned from the mall because she assaulted on of my employees which was pregnant at the time. The officer said he needed to take my info down because the lady called the cops on the store. Should I mention this?

You were not there in your personal capacity but as a company employee. Also this doesn’t sound like a detention, citation or arrest. I wouldn’t mention this at all.