Citizenship Interview/Wrong "Resident Since" Date

bigmama

Hello,

I went in for my interview today and everything was fine - passed the test, and all the officer wanted to do was get photocopies of my passport, GC, and driver's license.... She was gone for a while and when she came back, she told me there was a discrepancy between the "Resident Since" date (11/2001) on my GC and when my GC was actually granted to me (11/2002). I guess they may have printed the wrong date on my GC. Or the GC officer wrote the wrong date. I'm not actually sure since I came straight to work afterwards.

She told me that they'll review my case and send me a decision letter on whether I'll have to wait another year and apply again. She said they only rarely take exceptions to the rule so most likely I'll have to do it all over again next year.

I just went with the date on my GC when I applied this past September. I came so close - especially since I passed the interview with flying colors. And now I have to see if I have to wait, pay another fee, and file again. I just got so disappointed and sad. I've been here since I was 8 (I'm 30 now) but aged out and my parents didn't know that they could petition me then. Nevertheless, it wasn't my mistake but theirs so now, do I do something like get an attorney or just take their decision as is - which may mean that I wait another year. Well, I've waited 22 years... I guess another year wouldn't be so bad...

Anyone else go through this - pass the interview but rebuked by a discrepancy in the Resident Since date? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for any help on this.

Wow, I'm really confused....

You said you've been resident in the US since age 8 (and are now 30), but your GC date was either 2001 or 2002. That math doesn't work unless you were illegal for many years... :(

If your GC was issued in either 2001 or 2002, I'm pretty sure you should be able to remember which year, and thus whether the date printed on the card was correct or not.

Couple of things come to mind:
1. Yes, sometimes USCIS makes mistakes and prints the wrong resident since date on the card. Some people either maliciously or by honest mistake (following the naturalization instructions) have tried to use the wrong date printed on the card to have similar results as yours. I mean the application gets rejected.
2. It is not clear from your post if the date on the card is right or wrong. When did you get your permanent residency approved? I assume the date of 2001 on the card is wrong and that you became a permanent resident on 2002. In that case I don't think any amount of lawyering or appeals or anything else is going to make a difference, and you'll have to apply again next year.

It wouldn't hurt if you do a search around this citizenship forum. I think there have been a few posts of people who either considered or actually used the wrong date printed on the card. I would be curious to see if anyone tried to sue trying to make the point that they followed instructions that indicate to read the date from the front of the card. I am not even sure if that has been tried, and if tried it would probably have not much of a chance to succeed.

Here is one relevant thread:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=176927&highlight=resident+wrong

and another one:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1465483#post1465483

both cases I think they were denied and had to reapply. Click on their user names and find all posts to see their stories. Don't take my word for it, do some search on your own.
My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
bigmama said:
Hello,

I went in for my interview today and everything was fine - passed the test, and all the officer wanted to do was get photocopies of my passport, GC, and driver's license.... She was gone for a while and when she came back, she told me there was a discrepancy between the "Resident Since" date (11/2001) on my GC and when my GC was actually granted to me (11/2002). I guess they may have printed the wrong date on my GC. Or the GC officer wrote the wrong date. I'm not actually sure since I came straight to work afterwards.

She told me that they'll review my case and send me a decision letter on whether I'll have to wait another year and apply again. She said they only rarely take exceptions to the rule so most likely I'll have to do it all over again next year.

I just went with the date on my GC when I applied this past September. I came so close - especially since I passed the interview with flying colors. And now I have to see if I have to wait, pay another fee, and file again. I just got so disappointed and sad. I've been here since I was 8 (I'm 30 now) but aged out and my parents didn't know that they could petition me then. Nevertheless, it wasn't my mistake but theirs so now, do I do something like get an attorney or just take their decision as is - which may mean that I wait another year. Well, I've waited 22 years... I guess another year wouldn't be so bad...

Anyone else go through this - pass the interview but rebuked by a discrepancy in the Resident Since date? Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks for any help on this.

If GC was obtained through 1485 use the I485 approval notice SRC number and do a case lookup on uscis site and that gives you the real date. That is the date uscis will use.

boatbod said:
Wow, I'm really confused....

You said you've been resident in the US since age 8 (and are now 30), but your GC date was either 2001 or 2002. That math doesn't work unless you were illegal for many years... :(

If your GC was issued in either 2001 or 2002, I'm pretty sure you should be able to remember which year, and thus whether the date printed on the card was correct or not.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was causing some confusion. I said that I've been here since I was 8 - not a PR. I was a TR under my dad's petition. It wasn't until 2001/2002 that I got LPR status. I honestly don't remember since I was in college and my mom took care of immigration matters - until now. I guess I should have looked at that more carefully.

I just have to make it clear - I have no problem waiting the full 5 years. I'm not here to cheat anyone or cut in line. Becoming a US citizen won't change much in my life other than not having to apply for visas to Europe twice a year. I have a great paying, artistic/creative career in advertising and I can take lovely vacations outside the country. As much as I look forward to voting, I'll also have an extra year not being bored to death waiting in a courtroom to see if I have to serve on a jury or not.

When I realized (perhaps incorrectly) that I was eligble to apply for naturalization, I thought I had everything I needed to complete the application. And I completed it as directed. As I'm sure many here are aware that one should complete USCIS forms properly or suffer delays and consequences. According to PART 3-C on the instruction form for completing an N-400:

Date you became a Permanent Resident - Write
the official date when your lawful permanent
residence began, as shown on your Permanent
Resident Card.
To help locate the date on your
card, see the sample Permanent Resident Cards in
the Guide. Write the date in this order: Month,
Day,Year. For example, write August 9, 1988 as
08/09/1988.

So I did just that. I didn't set out to skip a year of waiting. I would never knowingly do that out of fear that they'd accuse me of lying and permanently deny me a chance to become naturalized. I may be naive but I'm not stupid.

What I guess perplexes me is how I could go through an entire process of becoming a citizen - just short of taking the oath - only to find out at the end of the interview that there is a discrepancy that I'd have to start over. I don't care about paying another fee - I've paid more over the years to getting UK and Schengen visas. It was more the disappointment that, having gone through nearly the entire process, I was basically told "Oh, just kidding. You fell for the oldest trick in the book! Try again in a year, dumbass!"

I just find it ironic that applicants suffer the consequences of mistakes of their own doing (inadvertent or otherwise), while the CIS merely shrugs when they make mistakes. I realize that the agency is large and mistakes happen but they should also be held accountable to the highest of standards. After all, they hold in their hands the lives of so many. And these lives aren't cattle or sheep, they're the lives that over the years have built this country. Yet often times, large bureaucracies overlook the personal toll it takes on individual lives.

It's a bit bizarre, really. When the USINS was part of the DOJ, people heard of unbelievable mistakes and basically just shrugged it off. It was, after all, the INS and the perception was that only those who cared were the few who were affected. But now that they are under the auspices of the DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, I find it a bit alarming that my case will go through nearly to completion without raising a flag. When my name and "supposed" Resident Since date was run through their secure, multi-million-dollar, DHS & NCIC-linked computers, there was no alert stating that 2001 is not the same as 2002. Is it any wonder that terrorists were successful in 9/11? Many of those who committed those horrendous crimes on that day were supposed to have been flagged and monitored by law enforcement. But they weren't and they went about their business unimpeded. Boy, that must have been one embarassing administrative mistake. "Whoops! My bad!" said the analyst.

I know there's a wide discrepancy between 9/11 and my case but the point is that in both cases, mistakes were made on their end - mistakes have have consequences. If the DHS can't cross-reference the dates on their computers against what I provided - on something relatively insignificant as an application for naturalization - then heaven help us all if they make a boo-boo cross-referencing a bad guy against a list of all known bad guys.

As to the question of what I do and do not remember, I am at a loss for an explanation. I can remember what year the Challenger exploded but for some reason, I can't remember exactly when I got my GC. I remember who Kelly Kapowski and AC Slater are but I can't remember why the name Caspar Weinberger is in my head. And for that, I apologize.

The original intent of my post was out of sheer disappointment after being quite excited at the thought of finally becoming a citizen of a country I love. I just wanted to know some of your opinions on whether I have any hope of salvaging my experience today; whether there were avenues I hadn't yet explored; or whether I should just call it a day and wait another 8 months before applying again. Perhaps I was just looking at my citizenship as an extra present under my Christmas tree.

If there honestly isn't, I'll still be a bit sad but I'll understand. I can't help if people think I'm a fool, have ulterior motives or simply want an easy solution. At this point, I'm just looking for constructive assistance. If you have any questions as to what I was thinking or what I know, just ask and I'll tell you honestly. Please don't presume to know me, or what I know or should have known.

I do want to thank those who offered links and advice, dire as they may have sounded to me. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I was just trying to be optimistic. In any case, what's 8 more months before I reapply? By August 2007, I'll get another 5-figure bonus that should be more than enough to cover the fees for a new N-400.

Thank you all for your help and Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the clarification. I certainly understand why you'd be upset that it took until the end of the interview to find out there was a problem. Unfortunately, thats the time when the officer does most of the scrutinizing and cross checking.

By any chance, do you have your (old?) passport covering the 2001/2002 timeframe? If so, you would probably be able to find the INS I-551 "temporary GC" stamp, which should tell you what your GC date really was.

Good luck!
Boatbod

bigmama said:
Hello,

I went in for my interview today and everything was fine - passed the test, and all the officer wanted to do was get photocopies of my passport, GC, and driver's license....

I did not know that you are supposed to have copies of your Driver Licence and Passport. Is this something you are supposed to take to the interview?

It is one's responsibility to find out and check the date and get it corrected on GC. You are educated and 30 years old and should have done enough fact finding before applying for GC. I am not saying you did intentionally wrong, but to the officer that do not matter. Some facts they verify ahead the interview, some during the interview. It's fate.

I feel even if the officer have granted citizenship by mistake as you have not completed the mandatory 4 years and 9 months, it might be a problem for you throughout rest of your life if you got the citizenship this way. Think as this happened for your own good. For some reason, when someone want to dig your whole history in future, if they come to know about this, this fact will always be a blot on your record. You have not got the citizenship in legitimate way. Also there will be some uneasiness and worry regarding this rest of your life. Better apply after a year and have a clean record.

Last edited by a moderator:
bigmama said:
Sorry, I didn't realize I was causing some confusion. I said that I've been here since I was 8 - not a PR. I was a TR under my dad's petition. It wasn't until 2001/2002 that I got LPR status. I honestly don't remember since I was in college and my mom took care of immigration matters - until now. I guess I should have looked at that more carefully.

I just have to make it clear - I have no problem waiting the full 5 years. I'm not here to cheat anyone or cut in line. Becoming a US citizen won't change much in my life other than not having to apply for visas to Europe twice a year. I have a great paying, artistic/creative career in advertising and I can take lovely vacations outside the country. As much as I look forward to voting, I'll also have an extra year not being bored to death waiting in a courtroom to see if I have to serve on a jury or not.

When I realized (perhaps incorrectly) that I was eligble to apply for naturalization, I thought I had everything I needed to complete the application. And I completed it as directed. As I'm sure many here are aware that one should complete USCIS forms properly or suffer delays and consequences. According to PART 3-C on the instruction form for completing an N-400:

Date you became a Permanent Resident - Write
the official date when your lawful permanent
residence began, as shown on your Permanent
Resident Card.
To help locate the date on your
card, see the sample Permanent Resident Cards in
the Guide. Write the date in this order: Month,
Day,Year. For example, write August 9, 1988 as
08/09/1988.

So I did just that. I didn't set out to skip a year of waiting. I would never knowingly do that out of fear that they'd accuse me of lying and permanently deny me a chance to become naturalized. I may be naive but I'm not stupid.

What I guess perplexes me is how I could go through an entire process of becoming a citizen - just short of taking the oath - only to find out at the end of the interview that there is a discrepancy that I'd have to start over. I don't care about paying another fee - I've paid more over the years to getting UK and Schengen visas. It was more the disappointment that, having gone through nearly the entire process, I was basically told "Oh, just kidding. You fell for the oldest trick in the book! Try again in a year, dumbass!"

I just find it ironic that applicants suffer the consequences of mistakes of their own doing (inadvertent or otherwise), while the CIS merely shrugs when they make mistakes. I realize that the agency is large and mistakes happen but they should also be held accountable to the highest of standards. After all, they hold in their hands the lives of so many. And these lives aren't cattle or sheep, they're the lives that over the years have built this country. Yet often times, large bureaucracies overlook the personal toll it takes on individual lives.

It's a bit bizarre, really. When the USINS was part of the DOJ, people heard of unbelievable mistakes and basically just shrugged it off. It was, after all, the INS and the perception was that only those who cared were the few who were affected. But now that they are under the auspices of the DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, I find it a bit alarming that my case will go through nearly to completion without raising a flag. When my name and "supposed" Resident Since date was run through their secure, multi-million-dollar, DHS & NCIC-linked computers, there was no alert stating that 2001 is not the same as 2002. Is it any wonder that terrorists were successful in 9/11? Many of those who committed those horrendous crimes on that day were supposed to have been flagged and monitored by law enforcement. But they weren't and they went about their business unimpeded. Boy, that must have been one embarassing administrative mistake. "Whoops! My bad!" said the analyst.

I know there's a wide discrepancy between 9/11 and my case but the point is that in both cases, mistakes were made on their end - mistakes have have consequences. If the DHS can't cross-reference the dates on their computers against what I provided - on something relatively insignificant as an application for naturalization - then heaven help us all if they make a boo-boo cross-referencing a bad guy against a list of all known bad guys.

As to the question of what I do and do not remember, I am at a loss for an explanation. I can remember what year the Challenger exploded but for some reason, I can't remember exactly when I got my GC. I remember who Kelly Kapowski and AC Slater are but I can't remember why the name Caspar Weinberger is in my head. And for that, I apologize.

The original intent of my post was out of sheer disappointment after being quite excited at the thought of finally becoming a citizen of a country I love. I just wanted to know some of your opinions on whether I have any hope of salvaging my experience today; whether there were avenues I hadn't yet explored; or whether I should just call it a day and wait another 8 months before applying again. Perhaps I was just looking at my citizenship as an extra present under my Christmas tree.

If there honestly isn't, I'll still be a bit sad but I'll understand. I can't help if people think I'm a fool, have ulterior motives or simply want an easy solution. At this point, I'm just looking for constructive assistance. If you have any questions as to what I was thinking or what I know, just ask and I'll tell you honestly. Please don't presume to know me, or what I know or should have known.

I do want to thank those who offered links and advice, dire as they may have sounded to me. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I was just trying to be optimistic. In any case, what's 8 more months before I reapply? By August 2007, I'll get another 5-figure bonus that should be more than enough to cover the fees for a new N-400.

Thank you all for your help and Happy Holidays!

Basically when dealing with the government you are dealing with a Matrix: A face less automaton. Good rule of thumb is to assume that you are responsible for any facts you state and so should try and research them adequately before you put those down.

When I look at your case, sad and frustrating as it is, I can help but compare it with a bank making a mistake and putting one million dollars in your bank account. That unfortunately doesn't make the money yours, and if you use it you have to return it. Private and public organizations do mistakes that affect their customers. I agree that some sort of redress should be available. Perhaps you could make the case that they should refund you the money, as you did nothing more than follow instructions. Furthermore you can find the address of the USCIS ombudsman and explain your case and how many people get affected by the wrong date in the card and how USCIS collects this money and as far as I know never refund it, thus causing injury to the applicants.

Other than that, I find it difficult that your current application can be fixed, as I think it would break the law by granting you citizenship before the legal required residency time is completed.

My 2 cents.

Guys,
I am kind of same situation but i am eligible in either case with 5+ years of GC (no other issues). here are my details

GC approved date: 03/2009
GC Since Permanent Date Printed: 02/2002

I have mentioned 02/2002 (as it is on GC ) on my N-400 application form. I have an interview this month and would like to know your inputs
do i need to mention about the date discrepancy during my interview? please help

Yes, you need to mention the discrepancy! But, it's just a card mistake, so it doesn't affect you as you've waited at least 5 years. Did you come to the US as a refugee? If so, the the date could be correct if you did come in 2002.

Sorry for very late reply. How did your interview for citizenship go ? Any questions related to date discrepancy in the interview ?