Citizenship interview question:Will I be denied for not working for my sponsor employer long enough?

moonwalk

I am current a GC (employer sponsored) holder and going to my citizenship interview in a few days. My concern is I heard that I have to work for my employer (who sponsored my GC application) for at least 6 months after I received the green card. But the fact is l left my previous employer in a few weeks right after I received my green card and started to work for another company due to personal reason.

My question is:
1) Will I be denied for not working for my previous employer long enough after I got the green card?

2) Is it ok for me to withdraw my application N-400 before the interview?

Yes, it's the same line of work. My concern is I read an article from immihelp.com says:

“If USCIS finds out that the employee was just waiting for his/her immigration to be completed before jumping to a new job, then they are likely to charge fraud.” You can click the link to read details.

You need to show the intent to work for the GC employer. People who left the GC employer at the time of GC approval got citizenship approved. It is very rare to focus on the GC employer issue during citizenship interview. Lawyers tend to suggest what is the safe thing to do. It doesn't mean USCIS will follow it strictly.

There were a couple cases on this board of people who left within less than a month of GC approval and they got harassed in the interview. However, after the supervisor was called in they were ultimately approved.

There is no guarantee that you won't be denied for leaving too soon; but if it happens, you will be the first that we know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your time to answer my questions.

After I got GC, I refused to sign an agreement which my boss asked for. It was an unfair agreement.

I highly doubt that previous boss will help me with this case. Most likely if you have any dispute with your sponsor, USCIS will stand on employer’s side.

Should I give up the citizenship and not attend the Interview?

After I got GC, I refused to sign an agreement which my boss asked for. It was an unfair agreement.

I highly doubt that previous boss will help me with this case. Most likely if you have any dispute with your sponsor, USCIS will stand on employer’s side.

Why would you want to give up naturalization application ? For fear of being questioned about employment history?

Moonwalk, if your have been a GC holder for more than 5 years, than your GC cannot be taken away from you. USCIS has only 5 year window to revoke GC if they think there is a fraud.

So, worse come worse, the only thing that can happen is Citizenship denial. you can reapply again later.

Do you have evidence of this agreement? Emails, agreement copy - if yes, save it.

Moonwalk, if your have been a GC holder for more than 5 years, than your GC cannot be taken away from you. USCIS has only 5 year window to revoke GC if they think there is a fraud.

So, worse come worse, the only thing that can happen is Citizenship denial. you can reapply again later.

This is not true. They have 5 years to revoke a GC if it was issued due to their own mistake. If fraud was used to obtain a GC then they can revoke it even after 5 years.

The AC21 provides a person to change employer even before approval of GC and as such should not be an issue.

In Fact GC is for future employment - however, the AC21, nulls that - sort of confusing - but you shouldbe fine.

Thanks for all the help. I am new to this forum and appreciate all the answers. I will think about this and make a decision shortly.

all these threads - we never know what happened in the end .. Are people that much self centered - that they would ask thousand questions - but never bother to say what really happened in the interview?

all these threads - we never know what happened in the end .. Are people that much self centered - that they would ask thousand questions - but never bother to say what really happened in the interview?

Sadly, yes, it seems to be the case for the majority of posters.

A large majority of posters tend to disappear. Or if the responses are not to their liking.

They might return.. but only to ask questions relating to a spouse/parent/relative petition down the line. And disappear again once that purpose too is complete.

Self centered? Sadly. Wonder if it's a cultural thing..

A large majority of posters tend to disappear. Or if the responses are not to their liking.

They might return.. but only to ask questions relating to a spouse/parent/relative petition down the line. And disappear again once that purpose too is complete.

Self centered? Sadly. Wonder if it's a cultural thing..

After googling. About immigration stuff i came accross this. Forum. Helped ease my mind after reading alot of the posts similar to my situationa . Had my interview last week and was approved.

Since then ive been trying to pass on what ever ive learned. Lol. Hoping it helps someone down the road. Since i was helped. Its only fair to pass it along

@Jbuff, can you please share your experience with the interview and what was your situation? Did you change your employer right after receiving the GC? How long did you stay with the sponsoring employer? Did you work for the employer at all?

Thanks a lot