Citizenship for minor son and Oath

Indore

Registered Users (C)
We have to attend Oath next week. I would like to apply citizenship for my minor son. Do I have to take him to oath ceremony? I am pretty sure, that he will become US citizen automatically once we take oath. We can apply his US passport along with ours.

I am planning not to take him to Oath ceremony. Please advise.

Thanks

He doesn't need to go to the ceremony. However, if he's let's say six years or older you might want to take him. It is a once in a lifetime experience he might be happy in the future to have been there and be in the pictures to prove it.

We have to attend Oath next week. I would like to apply citizenship for my minor son. Do I have to take him to oath ceremony? I am pretty sure, that he will become US citizen automatically once we take oath. We can apply his US passport along with ours.

I am planning not to take him to Oath ceremony. Please advise.

Thanks

Where was your child born? 6 years is a cool age to attended these ceremonies, he will remember it for years to come.

He born in India and He is 11 Years old.

Take him and it will be an exciting experience for him to see his parents become US citizens. Congratulations!! Once you are a citizen, apply for your passport and his. I believe you can apply for his US passport concurrent with you, Dept of State will likely evaluate both your passport applications using your naturalization certificate, and issue both. If you want to spend additional money, you can apply for his certificate of citizenship, but I find that to be waste of money, unless money is an object to you.

Take him. This is a very special occasion. I think he should be part of it and be in the family pictures to remember in the future. However, this is not needed for him to derive citizenship. Many post offices accept family applications, they might make a copy of one of the parents certificate and send it alongside the child's application.

All going well, I fully intend to pull my teenager out of high school to attend the Oath ceremony since it will be, in effect, her ceremony too.

After naturalization, people are allowed to change names through the court system. For minor, check your local courts. At worst, parent will need to sign. Or they do it themselves when they turn 18.

After naturalization, people are allowed to change names through the court system. For minor, check your local courts. At worst, parent will need to sign. Or they do it themselves when they turn 18.

Can you show me a link that says a minor cannot change their name via citizenship certificate when they are an adult?

Nope ... I do not think there is a law preventing CIS from changing your name, it is just that they do not provide that service. And in the absence of such clarity, you will need to look up all the services provided by CIS and then conclude whether they do it or not. Start with http://uscis.gov

Can you show me a link that says a minor cannot change their name via citizenship certificate when they are an adult?

Can you show me a link that says an applicant for a driver's license does not get a free chocolate cake when the license is granted or renewed?

You're not going to find links that list every service a government agency doesn't do. But everybody here can confirm that the immigration authorities will not facilitate name changes for children who derive citizenship through their parents.

You can get the name change done, but it has to be through a separate court process that is independent of immigration.

Certificate of citizenship is not naturalization and as far as I know it is not done through court. USCIS only does name changes through court naturalizations, so if certificate of citizenship (N-600) is not done through court system I completely doubt that USCIS will do the name change. If you don't think this is good enough you might go look for that link, please share if you find it. Paraphrasing Jackolantern you can find it close it to the "USCIS doesn't provide spa and sauna service after naturalization ceremony link" ;)

What you could do is get a name change through the court system, then get the certificate of citizenship issued under the new name. Perhaps that's what you meant.