Citizenship for Minor Child

Pungiwalla

Registered Users (C)
Typically how is USC obtained for a minor child that was borned outside of USA who has been LPR and has maintained continuous residence along with parents here in USA? completing almost 5 yrs on greencard.

Do you file N-400 for child also or you(parent)get naturalized first and then you can apply for US passport for your child. Which route will be faster? As I will be eligible to file for USC in Oct 2008 and then we are looking at relocating to India where my Son will start his schooling in June 2009. I can hang on in USA for few more months if the citizenship doesn't come through by May'09. But worried that there may not be enough time for my Son's citizenship.

Once I'm naturalized, can I get my son a USC even if he was residing in India? or he will have to travel to USA in order for me to apply for US passport. Is there a waiting period/physical presence requirement before I can apply for US passport?

If I'm naturalized by say April 09 then there won't be a problem at all as I could then apply for my son's passport and he could go to India as USC.

Not sure what would be the best way to get him a USC, as we may be falling short by few months before he has to relocate to India inorder to start his school in June 2009 over there and by the time I'm naturalized.

Hi,

Once you become citizen and when you apply for your Passport at the post office at the same time you need to apply passport for your minor child ( the same thing we did and we applied regular processing not even expedite) and within one week you and your kid will get passports. You need to send Passport application form + Green Card for your kid and Date of birth certificate of your kid.

You DO NOT need to apply for N-400 for your child, anyway you have to mention how many kids and their A# on your N-400 application form, once you become citizen kids will automatically become citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Once you become citizen and when you apply for your Passport at the post office at the same time you need to apply passport for your minor child ( the same thing we did and we applied regular processing not even expedite) and within one week you and your kid will get passports. You need to send Passport application form + Green Card for your kid and Date of birth certificate of your kid.

Can I apply for my child's passport even when child is physically not present in United States? I will have all the documents you mentioned with me or Passport office would like to see the child.

Hi,
That I am not sure but I went to post office along with my child. I think they will see the child, please get advise from others.

US citizens can NEVER be issued visas. US embassies/consulates represent the State Department. Take a guess who issues passports to all US citizens, whether inside or outside the US :)

Can the consulate/embassy in foreign country issue US passport? or they will provide Visa to come to United States?