citizenship eligibility

NazKav

hi,
My mom has green card since 1999. She has not applied for citizenship since she has broken her continuous residence on multiple occasion (stayed more than one year over seas). The last time she entered the U.S was March 2016 when she decided to move here. Since then she has only taken two very short trips (less than a month) overseas. She now is considering to apply for her US citizenship. Would she be able to use the 4 year and 1 day rule and apply in March/April 2020?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, she returned in March 2016 after one year and resided in the US ever since.
Best

Hi,

Was the absence for "more than 1 year" continuous at any time? If yes, doesn't that automatically abandon the Green Card/LPR status?

If that is the case, then there might be a chance this would get revealed during citizenship application. Other more knowledgeable people here can chime in, but would recommend to keep this in mind until you know for sure that this is a non-issue.

Kabir.

Hi,

Was the absence for "more than 1 year" continuous at any time? If yes, doesn't that automatically abandon the Green Card/LPR status?

If that is the case, then there might be a chance this would get revealed during citizenship application. Other more knowledgeable people here can chime in, but would recommend to keep this in mind until you know for sure that this is a non-issue.

Kabir.

It's presumed abandoned but if the person was allowed back in by CBP then they haven't lost the green card. However, the interviewing officer for naturalization reviews the entire immigration history and can, i believe, make a determination that LPR status was abandoned in the past, however, I understand it's rare to do so.