Citizenship and social security

miamiparis

My 83 year old mother is a green card holder and receiving retirement from France. I know that if she becomes American, she could switch from Obamacare to Medicare. A friend told me that she also could receive money from Social Security if she becomes American. I was surprised to hear that because she never worked in USA. Is it true? If yes, how much would she receive?

Social security benefits is not free government money USC automatically become eligible to receive.

“When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn “credits” toward Social Security benefits. The number of credits you need to get retirement benefits depends on when you were born. If you were born in 1929 or later, you need 40 credits (10 years of work).”

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10035.pdf

My 83 year old mother is a green card holder and receiving retirement from France. I know that if she becomes American, she could switch from Obamacare to Medicare. A friend told me that she also could receive money from Social Security if she becomes American. I was surprised to hear that because she never worked in USA. Is it true? If yes, how much would she receive?

Added to what sm1smom has said, what she receives premium-free under Medicare is also limited if she has never worked in the US.
https://www.hhs.gov/answers/medicare-and-medicaid/who-is-elibible-for-medicare/index.html

I'm trying to see if it's worth for her to take English lessons at her age, to become American. From what you told me, the only financial benefit she would get is the ability to pay for Part B (Medicare Insurance). Is it better than Obamacare?

I doubt anyone here can answer that for you. You know your mother’s health situation, costs etc, you would have to calculate if the change in benefits is worth anything and if so if it’s enough to get her to learn English (which it’s a pity she hasn’t already given where she lives and how much that must restrict her ability to communicate).