Citizenship and Social Security Number

frustrated_alot

Registered Users (C)
I always see people updating their social security number after getting sworn in. Is it a requiremt? When you go to the SS Office, do they give you a new number since you have become a citizen? :confused:

No, it isn't updating or changing the number, it is just to update your record to show that you're a citizen. You won't get a new card (provided the one you already have is a social security card with no restriction message), and definitely no new social security number, the number stays the same.

It is not a requirement, but it might be useful in the future that the social security administration knows that you're a citizen.

Don't take my word, check this link:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

Unless you go get your name changed as part of the Naturalization process in which case you would apply for a different Social Security card.

I agree it's worth to get it done. Though the differences may be minimal, for me, I wanted every corner covered to show that I am now a USC. It only took about 1/2 hour as I went right after the Oath so didn't take much time to switch it over at all. This of course depends on how close you live to an office though...

Some people didn't apply to remove the "not valid for employment ..." from their SS card when they got a green card. They should definitely apply for a new SS card upon obtaining citizenship.

Thank you all!

For your responses. I see the benefit. If i ever get out of this blackhole. I will update my social security information.;)

No, it isn't updating or changing the number, it is just to update your record to show that you're a citizen. You won't get a new card (provided the one you already have is a social security card with no restriction message), and definitely no new social security number, the number stays the same.

It is not a requirement, but it might be useful in the future that the social security administration knows that you're a citizen.

Don't take my word, check this link:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

Do you know if they take your naturalization certificate at the local SSA and send it away when you update them that you are now a citizen or do you only have to show it to them? I want to apply for my passport after I go to SSA but if they will send off my certificate then I will wait until I receive the passport and certificate and then do it. Thanks for your help.

The SSA does not take your original Naturalization Certificate away; they just want to see the original. So the best would be to stop by the SSA on your way to the Passport applicatino acceptance facility. By the way, you also can stop by The UPS Store or a similar full-service copying location to make a notarized copy of your own certificate (for archive only) in the unlikely case your Naturalization Certificate gets misplaced when your passport application is being processed.