• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Child Letter of Consent

joss88

Hi. I am told i need to DHL the US Embassy in Nairobi a letter of consent from my father allowing international travel for my son. Is there a standard consent form for this? Where can i get it.
Two, can my son's father scan and email for me to print and send to the embassy?
Thanks!

There’s no standard format per se, but if you goggle travel letter of consent, you will see various samples which you can use.

The letter should be notarized and it should have the father’s wet signature. It has to be the original, should not be scanned or emailed.

There’s no standard format per se, but if you goggle travel letter of consent, you will see various samples which you can use.

The letter should be notarized and it should have the father’s wet signature. It has to be the original, should not be scanned or emailed.
Thank you so much for this clarity.

One more thing. What options do I have if my son's father refuses to give consent?

Not many. You can try get a court order. The child will not be issued a visa if it’s not clearly legal for you to take him out the country.

Not many. You can try get a court order. The child will not be issued a visa if it’s not clearly legal for you to take him out the country.
Okay. Am looking at getting a court order since my son's dad suddenly want's me to kiss a lot of ass. Thanks Sussie!

Just be aware that while I dont know your situation, generally you’d need to show some kind of danger or something to the child to get a court order against the father’s wishes. You can’t just force the other parent to let their child leave the country just because that’s what you want, even if you strongly believe it’s in the child's best interests. Different country admittedly, but I know someone who succeeded in this with demonstrated mental instability on the part of the other parent. It still took them over 3 years to succeed. Obviously for DV you don’t have that kind of time frame. If it’s just a case of the father wanting you to “kiss ass”, maybe you should think again about how to come to an agreement with him. It certainly doesn’t sound like the basis of a court order. Good luck.

Agree with Susie’s above ^^. It takes a while to obtain a genuine and authentic court order. Find ways to get your ex’s consent/approval - you will be taking his kid out of the country after all.

Just be aware that while I dont know your situation, generally you’d need to show some kind of danger or something to the child to get a court order against the father’s wishes. You can’t just force the other parent to let their child leave the country just because that’s what you want, even if you strongly believe it’s in the child's best interests. Different country admittedly, but I know someone who succeeded in this with demonstrated mental instability on the part of the other parent. It still took them over 3 years to succeed. Obviously for DV you don’t have that kind of time frame. If it’s just a case of the father wanting you to “kiss ass”, maybe you should think again about how to come to an agreement with him. It certainly doesn’t sound like the basis of a court order. Good luck.
Got it. Thanks Susie. I hope we come to our senses and get past it.