Chicago Asylum Office

mercier

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I was wondering how busy/slow is the Chicago asylum office this summer. Does anybody know what is the Chicago interview wait times in these days? Thank you.

I got my interview notice in about two months after they received my application.

Had my interview a month ago. But, from what I heard, if you are in status, the decision may take 6-12 months (or even more) to be mailed to you.

Hi,

I filled my asylum application in May 2013. I am yet to receive an interview date. its exactly 72 days since i got my receipt back.

Waz!

Thanks for the info Seanmat, Waz,

This gives me much hope that it's not as long as six months wait as i heard from my lawyer. He probably estimated that in a rough estimate.

Good to hear that you got your interview, seanmat, and good luck with the decision.
Waz, good luck for us to receive the interview notice soon!

I got my interview notice in about two months after they received my application.

Had my interview a month ago. But, from what I heard, if you are in status, the decision may take 6-12 months (or even more) to be mailed to you.

i'm out of status but i waiting over 6 months for interview

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Seanmat, Waz,

This gives me much hope that it's not as long as six months wait as i heard from my lawyer. He probably estimated that in a rough estimate.

Good to hear that you got your interview, seanmat, and good luck with the decision.
Waz, good luck for us to receive the interview notice soon!

I guess it is just random fluctuation along with some sort of busyness. I have applied on Mach, 28 and still waiting for an interview notice.

Hi oakkas,

Yeah, I think so too, since all of us have this different notice intervals. March 28 seems to be a plenty of wait. Have you received any confirmation to make sure they received your application?

Hi oakkas,

Yeah, I think so too, since all of us have this different notice intervals. March 28 seems to be a plenty of wait. Have you received any confirmation to make sure they received your application?

Yes definitely, I received the confirmation, bio is done but no notice for interview. I even had address change. I called them yesterday and what they told me is that wait until normal processing time ends and call back.

Yes definitely, I received the confirmation, bio is done but no notice for interview. I even had address change. I called them yesterday and what they told me is that wait until normal processing time ends and call back.

Now I see why my lawyer said that I should relax because it might even take several months to get the interview. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi,

Any news from anybody? I am still waiting for my interview date, it has been over 75 days and counting since i got a receipt. My Lawyer called this morning and he was told that there has been a delay in processing the interviews but they shall en devour to schedule my interview soon. Not so comforting as i would have expected, but then I gain, what else can I do but wait!!

Waz!

Hi,

Any news from anybody? I am still waiting for my interview date, it has been over 75 days and counting since i got a receipt. My Lawyer called this morning and he was told that there has been a delay in processing the interviews but they shall en devour to schedule my interview soon. Not so comforting as i would have expected, but then I gain, what else can I do but wait!!

Waz!

Hi Waz,

No news yet, I am anxiously waiting for the interview as well. Great that your lawyer was able to get some idea about your interview. It's a great opportunity for you to better prepare for your interview in the meantime!

Hi Waz,

No news yet, I am anxiously waiting for the interview as well. Great that your lawyer was able to get some idea about your interview. It's a great opportunity for you to better prepare for your interview in the meantime!

Well, I filed my I-589 on Aug 15, 2012. I did all this on my own and still in F1 status (grad school). I went for an interview to Bloomington, MN on May 10th, 2013. As of today, I am still waiting for the decision. However, I finally got the chance to speak to the supervisor at the Chicago Asylum Office and was told that the AO's have been pulled to the different responsibilities as they are short handed. He also told me that it might take another 4-5 months to receive any interview decision.

I am debating if I should file for OPT based on pending asylum decision or OPT through STEM?

Pe patient

my story: applied in 15 may , the bio done & still waiting for interview letter.

We have NOTHING to do ,just waiiiiiiiiiiting

Well, I filed my I-589 on Aug 15, 2012. I did all this on my own and still in F1 status (grad school). I went for an interview to Bloomington, MN on May 10th, 2013. As of today, I am still waiting for the decision. However, I finally got the chance to speak to the supervisor at the Chicago Asylum Office and was told that the AO's have been pulled to the different responsibilities as they are short handed. He also told me that it may take another 4-5 months to receive any interview decision.

I am debating if I should file for OPT based on pending asylum decision or OPT through STEM?

Thanks for sharing.

4-5 months sounds encouraging. I heard a different rumor that the wait time is about 6-9 months on average for those in status.

An Action after 5 months.
A notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case I730 REFUGEE ASYLEE RELATIVE PETITION.
They are asking this after 5 months of application even without interview. I feel this is just to extend the time period. I am now waiting their mail and will send documents they are asking.

oakkas

Hi Everybody?

Has anybody got any news today? I am still waiting for my interview notice, it has been 87 days since i got my receipt.

Waz!

need help please

Hello forum members, I was previously been denied on asylum case and been since then living in us out of status and I was wondering, if my wife will apply for asylum and I will be as her spouse in application how it is gonna affect to her application will they check all my papers, because i was told that they only check main asylum applicant's documents not spouces's or childrens' thanks for your help

Hello forum members, I was previously been denied on asylum case and been since then living in us out of status and I was wondering, if my wife will apply for asylum and I will be as her spouse in application how it is gonna affect to her application will they check all my papers, because i was told that they only check main asylum applicant's documents not spouces's or childrens' thanks for your help

Hi al777,

I am sad that your asylum application was denied. However based on your question, Immigration does normally check all documents relating to your case. So, they will know you had previously applied for asylum and was denied. You said you are currently out of status, I would advice you to consult with an experienced attorney about your case and inquire if your wife can fill for asylum. Based on your question, I would highly encourage you to get an attorney before doing anything else.

Waz!

Hello,

I am not a lawyer, however, i would suggest you to hire an experienced asylum lawyer so that your wife too, doesn't end up in your situation. Before applying for such serious level of claim, your wife SHOULD make sure that she QUALIFIES for asylum before applying. If your wife qualifies for asylum, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be qualified for the derivative asylee benefit, but as i said, you should consult a lawyer.

Ask your lawyer to tell you "WHAT LAW exactly qualifies you for the derivative asylee benefit EVEN IF you were previously denied asylum. Your wife is a different individual than you, so she has the right to claim for asylum if she has her own story/situation that would individually qualify her for asylum.

Before applying for something serious like asylum, Your wife should make sure that she wins the case. For that lawyer consultation is important. If it is financially challenging for you, search for Pro Bono (free) asylum lawyers. Each state has pro bono attorney services. The best way to find such services is to Google.