Checked wrong answers to Part-10. H and fixed during interview

gc4us

Registered Users (C)
In case you are one of those who made mistake(s) in your original application and are worried about correcting it, here is my experience.

I had my interview at Baltimore on Mar-31-2010 (5-year GC based). The evening before my interview, I was going through my application to refresh all the answers. While reviewing section 10, I knew something was wrong as I did not see any question answered "Yes". I re-reviewed and finally realized that I had messed up subsection H:eek::eek:

After answering "NO" to all the previous questions in section-10, i had dutifully followed the same pattern and answered "NO" to subsection-H. Here are the items I had answered "NO"
34. Do you support the Constitution and form of government of the United States?
35. Do you understand the full Oath of Allegiance to the United States?
36. Are you willing to take the full Oath of Allegiance to the United States?
37. If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the US?
38. If the law requires it, are you willing to perform non-combatant services for the U.S Armed Services?
39. If the law requires it, are you willing to perform work of national importance under civilian direction?

I believe there are some cases where you can answer NO to 37, 38, 39 - but not sure about 34, 35 and 36. There was no time to mail a request for correction and I had to go with feedback from other users in the forum that they were able to fix some items during the interview.

Before the interview started, I informed my IO that I would like to make some corrections before we did the "I promise to tell the truth"....
He said, "Don't worry about that, we can fix it when we reach that section. Just let me know when we reach that section of your application".
When we reached Section 10 - H, I reminded him about the corrections and he asked me to answer my choice for each question and made the corrections. As there were 6 items to correct, he asked me to initial and date that area, just to make sure the corrections were done at my behest and not by the officer himself. I carried an updated N-400 form with these corrections and asked him if I could give this new form. He said, it is not required as he could easily make those corrections in the original application itself.

It was a huge relief and the officer was not very serious about it and mentioned he has been through such situations when filling applications himself :D

In my case, I wanted to say "YES" but had answered "NO"...... It would have been a hassle to submit documented proof for a "NO" answer..... In that context, my replies were wrong and I wanted to correct them...

In any case, I remember reading some related information in the thread http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?310825-Agreeing-to-bear-arms

I haven't read all the related links in this discussion, though.....

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case, I wanted to say "YES" but had answered "NO"...... It would have been a hassle to submit documented proof for a "NO" answer..... In that context, my replies were wrong and I wanted to correct them...

In any case, I remember reading some related information in the thread http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?310825-Agreeing-to-bear-arms

I haven't read all the related links in this discussion, though.....

You can say No to questions 36, 37, and 38, in order to have your oath modified. However you have to say Yes to all other questions, in particular question 39, otherwise your application gets rejected. The link above references a thread that discusses this in great detail.