Changing status

fif

I am planning on changing status from TN to B2, what is the application to submit? any cautions should be taken while filling it in? please advice

Changing immediately from TN to B requires an I-539, on which you request up to 6 months to "wrap-up" US affairs and head out of the country. It must be submitted on the last day of TN status (there may have been some new leeway introduced in the omnibus changes announced in January that allow you some time to file a legal change after ending TN).

After submitting, you are in B2-pending status, which is in effect until only you leave the country, which should still be your main aim in this. You should not be waiting to hear back from CIS on your petition. If you do find another TN, you would go to border (or file I-129). You cannot leave US and re-enter on that B2, you would have to qualify for B2 like any other tourist (well-documented foreign residence, tourist purpose for entry, definite plans to leave), so when you leave US the first time after filing B2, be prepared not to come back without an iron-clad TN or proof of a new life abroad (DL, lease, utilities, etc).

Thank You nelsona, just for confirmation, the I-539 should be mailed out to USCIS, and not electronically, is that right?

Thank you nelsona, and I am assuming I should leave and cross the border in case I need to apply for a new TN, and not actually go to the border to do so, is that accurate?

You can interpret "go to the border" however you wish. Each border POE has unique design considerations, some of which prevent you from visiting the offcies without first leaving US soil.

Last edited:
Hey nelsona, thank you, I actually applied to change my status to B2, is there any document I may expect to receive from the immigration? or a stamp? or even a new I-94 to show a proof for that change?

I assume you sent an I-539.
You will get a receipt notice with your case number,until then your submitted paperwork is your 'proof' of b2-pending status
It is expected you will have left US or gotten another status before it is ever approved, so don,t sit around waiting for that. The approval would come with an I-94 attached.