Changing status at Social Security office--

hoping in 2009

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,,

New to Life after Citizenship I have a few questions about changing my status.

1. Will they take away my social security card and send me a new one?

2. Will the actual number change?? or will the number be the same?

I did not change my name, I would assume that only people who did a name change will have to have new cards with new name.

Anyway I would appreciate your replies if you have gone through this :)

In my case they took away my card as my old card has H1 restrictions and I never updated after I got my GC. But my wife's card they gave her back (though her last name was changed during naturalization). But we both will be getting new cards with the same number.

Hope this helps.

Why-R2

In my case they took away my card as my old card has H1 restrictions and I never updated after I got my GC. But my wife's card they gave her back (though her last name was changed during naturalization). But we both will be getting new cards with the same number.

Hope this helps.

Why-R2

Thanks for your quick reply :cool:

I know it sounds funny but I like the number I have and would like to keep it, so thats the reason I was asking :eek:

Thanks for your quick reply :cool:

I know it sounds funny but I like the number I have and would like to keep it, so thats the reason I was asking :eek:

You only get one SSN for life and it is never changed except in case of identity theft. So you will keep that number that you like so much. :)

1) They took my old one since my new card will have my new name. It arrives within a week.
2) Same number for life.

You keep the same number. They only take your old card if you had restrictions on it. If you replaced your card when you got your Green Card to remove the restrictions they won't take your old card. Basically, you only want to give your old card if it was issued with restrictions before you obtained your Green Card.

I think you need to use form SS-5 to update your citizenship status. Make sure you check all your data carefully. When I went for my update I realized they had some wrong information (I think they had put my home city as my country or viceversa).

You keep the same number. They only take your old card if you had restrictions on it. If you replaced your card when you got your Green Card to remove the restrictions they won't take your old card. Basically, you only want to give your old card if it was issued with restrictions before you obtained your Green Card.

I think you need to use form SS-5 to update your citizenship status. Make sure you check all your data carefully. When I went for my update I realized they had some wrong information (I think they had put my home city as my country or viceversa).

oh that explains the restrictions part I have read of and didn't know why.

Now I see why ( mine by the way was after green card so it has nothing about restrictions ).

thanks for the info huracan ;)