Changing Original Citizenship After Acquiring Canadian Permanent Residency Status

taynge

Hello ALL,
I dont know how frequently you have encountered such a situation or what is the legal position under Canadian immigration law. If I am a citizen of country Y(which does not recognise dual nationality), with Canadian PR status ,but, who also qualifies for Citizenship in country X (which like Canada, recognises dual citizenship) by virtue of having fulfilled relevant citizenship reqiurements there prior to obtaining PR status in Canada, will I lose my Canadian PR status, if I chose to apply for citizenship in country X anytime therafter?. Brief, will acquiring the citizenship of country X(even if I no longer leave there), after becoming a Canadian PR affect my PR status in Canada. I ask because I am a PR in canada as a citizen of country Y but I will like to abandon country Y citizenship, acquire country X citizenship for which I am qualified and have CIC update my records to reflect this change. Is that possible without affecting my PR status? Anyone ever done that?
Thanks for your answers.

very complex situation. Please tell the name of Country Y. We know country X is Canada. Is Y US or India?

Your Canadian PR status has nothing to do with your country of citizenship, both present or future. You might have to inform CIC but other than that, there should be no issues at all.

nkm-oct23, I would not be so categorical here. He obtained the PR status as a citizen of country Y, and his Canadian permanent resident card indicates his citizenship. When he ceases to be the citizen of country Y, I do not think it will be a problem neither do I think that he even needs to inform Canadian immigration about it. However, stating that the citizenship is not related to the PR status would not be entirely correct, especially when it comes to being granted the permanent residency as a refugee.

nkm-oct23, I would not be so categorical here. He obtained the PR status as a citizen of country Y, and his Canadian permanent resident card indicates his citizenship. When he ceases to be the citizen of country Y, I do not think it will be a problem neither do I think that he even needs to inform Canadian immigration about it. However, stating that the citizenship is not related to the PR status would not be entirely correct, especially when it comes to being granted the permanent residency as a refugee.

If OP was a refugee he should say so. If not, everything I said before holds.

Changing Original Citizenship After Acquiring Canadian Permananent Residency Status

Thanks to all of you who answered.
@Smali: Country is the Known variable in the equation. the unknown variables in the equation Y and X are respectively, Kenya and the France
@ nkm-oct23 and König, if this is relevant: I obtained Canadian PR under the skilled worker program, not as a refugee. I am a Originally a Kenyan Citizen which is the Citizenship stated on my PR Card. I became eligible for French Citizenship shortly after obtaining Can PR status by virtue of time previously spent there there. Kenya, for now, is the only country in the equation that does not recognize dual citizenship although there is a possibility that this law will be repealed quite soon.In any case, I want to apply for French citizenship since I am eligible for it already anyways even if I don't leave there anymore. It will facilitate travel into the EU. Can CIC update my records with them to reflect this change in citizenship or will they instead freak out instead and cancel my PR status? In principle, this as both of you already indicate should not pose any problem as its not like I am - to the best of my lay man's knowledge and understanding of current Canadian immigration legislation - infringing any of the conditions necessary for maintaining my Can PR status. But you never know as its not all immigration laws and regulations that are made public. For one, the law might say X while the text of application says Y. Further, there is also the fine print and legalese in the ways these laws are written which a lay man like myself might probably never pick out or understand.

Last edited by a moderator: