Changing name after citizenship, No NC certificate,advice needed!

bluesnickers

Registered Users (C)
My wife became US citizen 3 years ago. Her SS card and green card had both my last name and her maiden name in parenthesis [ex: Kim(Lee)]. And NC certificate was never given. Her citizenship certificate and US passport only have my last name (Kim).

Now her diver's license is due for renewal. The problem is that it only has her maiden name, and I've called the DMV to see what documents are accepted in order to change her last name. They kept insisting either marriage certificate or NC certificate is required which we don't have. We came to the US as married and don't have marriage certificate.

Does anyone have similar experience? My wife was also thinking about changing everything back to her "maiden name" since she is thinking about going back to Korea for awhile. I'm totally lost and how to approach this problem. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Maybe she could legally change her name through civil court? People do it all the time just because they don't like their name. Then I think you can take the legal name change papers to the DMV.