Changes in US embassy in Canada?

Shiva R

Does anybody know about any changes in rules regarding getting a H1 visa stamp in US embassy in Toronto,Canada?

I have an appointment at the embassy soon but learnt that there is a "temporary" restriction on getting a visa stamp in Canada.

Thanks in advance,
Shiva.

DOS Suspends TCN Processing in Canada & Mexico

I got this from forworded email from "International Student Services" of my school.

=========== Forwarded Message ========

State Dept. Suspends "Third Country National" Processing in Mexico &
Canada
The State Department\'s Visa Office Managing Director has announced that the processing of visa applications from third country nationals who are not resident in the consular districts of the border posts has been suspended. Existing entry visa appointments are being cancelled. The Department states that this is a "temporary measure," but gives no indication of when processing may resume.Third Country National (TCN) processing is used routinely by individuals who are neither Mexican nor Canadian but who wish to apply for a visa at a US Consular post in one of those countries.

The DOS has indicated that the Department is concerned that the INS may be changing its practices on the borders. This appears to be a reference to readmission after a stay of less than 30 days in Canada or Mexico.

DOS does not want to burden Canada and Mexico with a large number of
visa applicants whose cases are pending background and security checks, but who may not be readmitted to the US.

DOS Suspends TCN Processing in Canada & Mexico

I\'m not sure as to the validity of the statement that current appointments are being cancelled. I had called the 900 number last friday and was informed that no new appointments were being made, but that existing ones would be honored.

Also, I wrote to the Montreal consulate and i reproduce the email exchange here verbatim.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 11:34 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Processing time for H1B work visa extension

>If your appointment date has not been cancelled by the appointment >center it
>is still in effect.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 5:54 PM
> To: \'Montreal-NIV\'
> Subject: RE: Processing time for H1B work visa extension
>
> Hi,
>
> I\'ve heard that no appointments for non-immigrant visas are being made at
> this time for any consulates in Canada. Does this mean that no current
> appointments are being honored?
>
> I have an appointment scheduled for XXXX for stamping an extension to my
> H1B. I would like to know if I should not travel to Canada at this time.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kunal

It would be good to know if anyone has any experience to the contrary.

Kunal

My interview appointment is kept.

I have an appointment in Toronto for Nov 27. The US Consulate replied my fax: I may keep my appointment.

Question: It used to be that I should be able to come back to the US using my old I-94 card even if my visa application is denied. ANYONE HEARD ANY CHANGE IN THIS POLICY?

Interview appointment

Please update this message chain after your appointment, if you get a chance. Would appreciate it very much if we hear from someone who actually goes through this process after it\'s done.

Thx.

Visa

Hey Bud,

I don\'t think there\'s a change in the returning back on your expired visa as long as your status is valid policy. The DOD web page says so explicitly.

Going to Canada

Hi,

Has anyone gone to Canada to get their multiple? I will be
going on 12/10 and was wondering if anyone had any problems

SK

tempo.. worker

Hi Sejals,

I\'ve my appointment in the 3rd week of December. Did you get a 2nd letter (same as the 1st one) or any fax/phone and how does it indicate the confirmation for an appointment at Toranto US Consulate?

Please share your experience.

Thanx,

tempo.. worker

No Title

You can call up the Toronto US consulate. Also since you already have an appt. you should not have a problem.

Regarding visa at toronto

It will be great if you could share your experience or give email so that i can and others can contact you to share your h1 visa stamping experience , i have appointment in january.
Thanks in advance.
--a desi

Got visa from Calgary consulate

Hi,

I got my H1-B multiple entry from the Calgary consulate on 12/10.
It was very peaceful. No problems whatsoever. However I noticed
that they gave me H1-B only till next december. They gave me my
passport back within an hour.

Canada/Caribean Islands: Automatic Revalidation of VISA

Dear Sir:

A F-1 student on valid status that needs to travel to Canada/Mexixo/Islands
could return to U.S. without a valid VISA if staying less than 30 days
outside U.S..

This legal loophole is called Automatic Visa Revalidation.

I have three questions about this matter:

- What is the current position of INS/ Department of State
regarding automatic visa revalidation? There were rumors
that they were not allowing that recently due to the war against
terrorism.

- Are the Canadian/Mexican consulates taking appointments again for
non-mexican/non-canadfian nationals? How about the U.S.
Consulates in the Caribean area?

Please let me know.

Yosef Gavriel

calgary information for new H-1 visa

Hi there

I'm looking for some information about the US consulate in Calgary based on anyone's experience:

1. what is the consulate like when it comes to handling new H-1 visa stamping, are they particular about anything?
2. Is it located downtown (how far from airport) and are there any recommended places to stay closeby?
3. Do they return the passport the same day
4. has ayone had anyone had any problems at Calgary

I'm a student completing my OPT and have no idea what to expect in Calgary! Could someone help with some information?

Thanks,

Shefali

HI Sejals

Iam going to be there in Toronto pretty soon to renew my h1, Is there any tihng i need to know?
How soon can you get your passport back? when can you book your flight ticket back? please let me know

sejals said:
Hi,

Has anyone gone to Canada to get their multiple? I will be
going on 12/10 and was wondering if anyone had any problems

SK