Change employer when on I-797A?

youyou

Registered Users (C)
I am 2nd yr TN renewal on I-797A.

I want to change employer to my client's company.

What should client's company do with my TN status, if they want to hire me?

What should do for my TN? TN re-apply or just another I-797A change?

If say, the client company offers me the job, then I apply for I-129 by mail, when new TN arrives, then there may be 1 month or 2 waiting period, right?

Can I start to work for the client company or I have to wait until new TN arrives?

If say, the client company offers me the job, then I apply for I-129 by mail, when new TN arrives, then there may be 1 month or 2 waiting period, right?

Can I start to work for the client company or I have to wait until new TN arrives?

You have to wait until you get the approval notice which will contain the I-797 for the new employer.
Changing employers without having the I-797 in hand would be working without authorization for that employer.

That is why it is faster and simpler just to go to the border. You could start tomorrow.

I think you can look at a map.

Whatever flight you can get to canada is your best bet.

Sure. You want to drive all that distance?

You genrally also need an appointment for the Mexican POEs.

Well, I centainly don't want to drive that far, but flying to Canada round trip will cost me quite much money too.

I figured I can go to Canada via Detroit or go to Mexico via Loredo. Distances are similar, but Airfare to Loredo is much cheaper.

If I go to Loredo POE, I have to make appointment first?

To Mexico, will my Canadian passport need a visa?

Last edited by a moderator:
Appointment, yes. Visa, no.

Most Cdns combine the opportunity to go visit family/friends in Canada for the weekend.

i suspect you don't have any family in Laredo

Last edited by a moderator: