Chances for my wife get citizenship after this scenario

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
Myself and my wife got greencard on 11/1/2006.

Imagine that I stay working in the US till citizenship is completed (I guess end of 2011).

Then my wife departs with my son (he is American citizen) on Dec 2010 (about 7 months before applying for citizenship). Let's say my wife comes to the US every 5 months for short visit to preserve the residency.

That said, if I apply for citizenship for me, any chance my wife could get her citizenship end of 2011 as well?

Imagine that I stay working in the US till citizenship is completed (I guess end of 2011).

Then my wife departs with my son (he is American citizen) on Dec 2010 (about 7 months before applying for citizenship). Let's say my wife comes to the US every 5 months for short visit to preserve the residency.

That said, if I apply for citizenship for me, any chance my wife could get her citizenship end of 2011 as well?

The processing of her case is independent of your case and is done on its own merits. The notion of coming to US every 5 months to preserve residence is a fallacy -- such trips might be ignored one time, but not multiple times. In your wife's case, it seems she requires only 7 months of absence, so it may not be a big deal as long she does not have other past trips. Depends on the overall picture, and how she justifies the trip if asked. The risk of being asked is high because the absence is at the fag end of 5 years, so the current residency could be in question.

Did you get your dates right or am I missing something?
You got your greencard in Nov 1st 2006, so the earliest you could apply would be 90 days before Nov 1st 2011 (so Aug 2011) If your wife departs Dec 2010 that would be 9 months before you can apply for citizenship (not 7). Your citizenship may or may not be completed by the end of 2011, if all goes well and judging by the time it is currently taking, yes, u may b done by then ....then again, u may not.

SanJose is right, coming back every 5 months will not cut it and her case will be separate from yours. If at all possible, your wife should stay in the US until both of your citizenships are granted. Is that possible? Your son of course, is not an issue as he is already a citizen.

Let me clarify...she doesnt need to be in the US until YOUR citizenship is granted but she should stay until HERS is granted.

Did you get your dates right or am I missing something?

Hmmm. I did not see the dates. So yes, the OP is actually expecting her to be out of US for 11 months before citizenship is due - 8 months out before filing, and then maybe another 3 months until interview. Basically an absence of almost a year before the interview with a pattern of travel which indicates non-residency. Seems high risk.

Slim. She would have to apply 4 years + 1 day after she returns to the US on a permanent basis.
Her coming back for short visits every few months doesn't do anything to mitigate the fact that she has actually abandoned her residence in the US. Your time in the US does not count towards her eligibility. Further, as she'll be taking the kid with her (and probably have him go to school there) , she'll have closer links to the foreign country than the US.