Caught shoplifting and on H1B visa, will it create inadmissibility for furure visits

lav12345

Hi

I am on H1B visa and was caught shoplifting in a retail store 2 days ago. I am so worried. The cost of the item was around 113$ and the police was called and the store lpo said that they will send a civil demand letter asking for fine and that i should not enter any of their stores in usa here after. They also said that i will receive a court summins since the police was involved. I dont know what to do now and im very confused. Actually my project here ends on Nov 7 and i may be required to come back for some other project in the future. My confusions are which court will i have to appear and what will be the consequence there. Also will i be allowed to enter in to USA after i go back on paying the civil demand fine for the retailer, fine in court. Please let me know.

Thanks

What state was it is?
Do you know the section of the law you violated?

General rule is if the maximum jail term possible (including probation) under the law for that section you were convicted is less than a year and your personal jail term (including probation) according to court decision is less than 6 months, and that is the only crime of moral turpitude you have done, that is not a problem.

Firstly, very sensible move on your part!!! Yes I am being sarcastic!

Secondly, hire a competent attorney. Do not make another mistake by relying on advice from forum members to bail you out. Your attorney should be competent in immigration and criminal law. I want to wish you the best of luck but I am a known hardliner on this forum against those who break the law.

Hi

I am on H1B visa and was caught shoplifting in a retail store 2 days ago. I am so worried. The cost of the item was around 113$ and the police was called and the store lpo said that they will send a civil demand letter asking for fine and that i should not enter any of their stores in usa here after. They also said that i will receive a court summins since the police was involved. I dont know what to do now and im very confused. Actually my project here ends on Nov 7 and i may be required to come back for some other project in the future. My confusions are which court will i have to appear and what will be the consequence there. Also will i be allowed to enter in to USA after i go back on paying the civil demand fine for the retailer, fine in court. Please let me know.

Thanks

Im in the state of Ohio. I was not given a ticket in hand, so i dont know now the section of law that i violated. But the amount is 113$ and the police was called. The lpo of the retail store said that they will be sending a court summon. But i dont have so much money to hire a lawyer so dont know what to do now :-(

Also im not aware if i will be called to the civil court or the criminal court... Im so upset,, im facing the mental stress for my mistake...

Penalties

The theft of merchandise of a value of less than $300 is a misdemeanor of the first degree upon the first offense, subjecting the offender to a maximum jail sentence of six (6) months and a maximum fine of $1,000
So, if that is the only crime you have done so far, you will not have immigration consequences.

Whether you like it or not, TripleCitizen is 100% correct. Please consult an experienced immigration attorney, who has specifically handled these kind of matters in the past. You will benefit yourself if you do some research before consulting an attorney who will handle the matter appropriately.

Shoplifting cases have disastrous consequences from an immigration perspective, notwithstanding the amount involved. You can search for any other website, such as law firms' website and you will find a lot of useful information. In most cases, a waiver would be required to have been approved before you apply for future immigration benefits.

Admission and Port of Entry Question

Admission and Port of Entry Question
Hi,

I'm on H1B visa, I had a shoplifting offense that has been dismissed after attending a anti-theft program. This incident happened in the state of Ohio. The court paper says that the case is dismissed on attending the anti-theft program. The case has also been expunged and in the expungement letter it says not guilty.

Now, my question is, I have come to my native country, so will I be able to enter US again or will I have any problems at the POE?. Will it affect my visa?. Please let me know. Need advice.

ha ha....u r lucky lav.....try entering and see for yourself...if you are found not guilty then you should be OK....besides...the case has been expunged...So you are ok...

-i am using my common sense...not legal sense...but i assume i am correct

-007!