Candian Studing In America - Where To Start?

ENRKyle20

I am a US citizen with a Canadian girlfriend. She would like to move in with me and attend school here. We do not want to get engaged yet so we decided that obtaining a student visa may be best. I am doing some research and I am getting very overwhelmed. I need some assistance about where to start. I wonder is someone can give me an overview of the process.

Thanks in advance for any info. Thank You

You should contact the International office of the school your girlfriend plans to attend....they have all the info. I know that one thing they will ask for is a bank account statement to show you have enough money to pay for school/room/board + other expenses for at least a year

Thank you very much for your reply.

Well she is not here, so I will have to go to that school for her to get the info then mail it to her. We do not know yet if she will be accepted to the school. Does applying to the school come before or after working on getting a student visa? I will stop in at the school tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I do recall reading that we will need bank statements and such as proof of financial stability. I have a few questions about that. First, Would she need to have all the money upfront to cover school and everything else, or would proof of income throwout that year be sufficient such as arrangement for employment? Also does this all need to be in her account or does my bank statements and money situation back her up? She will be living with me so room and board would all be covered.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in helping me

-Kyle-

International students have very limited employment opportunities. They may not work off campus without permission which is difficult to obtain; on campus jobs are limited.

It is possible that she would be required to live in university housing. It is also possible that given your temporary relationship, her living with you for free would not be considered. She should expect to demonstrated the liquid assets to meet the full funding defined by the university for tuition, fees, books, room and board and incidentals. This amount of required funding is generally posted on the university's website.

Her visa cannot be processed before admission to the university. Given the date, I find it hard to believe that she would be able to enroll for the fall term.