Canadian Visa for H-4

kiranmeduri

Hi,

My wife is on H-4 visa. We just got our H1/H4 renewed and are planning to get the visa stamping done from Vancouver. I have a multiple entry Canadian Visitor Visa, however my wife has never applied for canadian visa. What is the process for her to get canadian visa? Here are my specific questions

1. Do I need to reapply for canada visa?
2. Can she go to Canadian Consulate alone and get Canadian Visa by herself? (I assume cannot because she need to present the US Consulate Invitation letter to Canadian Visa Officer, but that invitation letter has only primary applicant which is me)
3. What other documents does she need?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The important thing is while you are out of the US (for instance, in Canada), if your wife is in US at the same time, she is out-of-status.

Hi,

My wife is on H-4 visa.

We just got our H1/H4 renewed and are planning to get the visa stamping done from Vancouver.
-----------------------You got your H1 extension and your wife got her H4 extension approved from USCIS
I have a multiple entry Canadian Visitor Visa, however my wife has never applied for canadian visa.

What is the process for her to get canadian visa?
----------------same process as you got visa for Canada
Here are my specific questions

1. Do I need to reapply for canada visa?
-----------------------if your Canada visa is Valid why you need to reapply?
2. Can she go to Canadian Consulate alone and get Canadian Visa by herself?
------------------YES
(I assume cannot because she need to present the US Consulate Invitation letter to Canadian Visa Officer, but that invitation letter has only primary applicant which is me)
-------------------------She can take your papers and can explain that she is going with you for H4 visa stamping.
3. What other documents does she need?
-----------------Check the nearest Canada consulate site.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

----------------

The important thing is while you are out of the US (for instance, in Canada), if your wife is in US at the same time, she is out-of-status.

That is wrong info. if H1 holder is sent by company to UK or India for few days for work it does not mean that H4 holder is out of status.Do you mean if H1 holder goes for vacations out of US then all the H4 holders staying in US will be out of status?

Do you mean if H1 holder goes for vacations out of US then all the H4 holders staying in US will be out of status?
No, you totally misunderstood me. Only one H-1 holder leaving US cannot affect all the H4 holders in the country. That would be crazy. Only dependents of this particular H-1 holder (staying in the US) become out-of-status for the period of absence of the H-1 holder. That is because the purpose of H-4 status for dependents of H-1 holder is to accompany him in the US. If he is not in the US, they are out-of-status.
All other H-4 holders in the country are not affected by his or her absence.

No, you totally misunderstood me. Only one H-1 holder leaving US cannot affect all the H4 holders in the country. That would be crazy.

Only dependents of this particular H-1 holder (staying in the US) become out-of-status for the period of absence of the H-1 holder.
------------------------------Give me law/regulation link and where did you read that.
That is because the purpose of H-4 status for dependents of H-1 holder is to accompany him in the US. If he is not in the US, they are out-of-status.

All other H-4 holders in the country are not affected by his or her absence.

X is working on H1 status in US and his Spouse Y and children are in US on H4 status in US. If X goes out of US for few days do you mean his spouse Y and children are out of status in US?

Thanks ginnu for explaining the stuff. I will drop by the local consulate office and find out all the required docs. for now

1. Visa Application (with photos)
2. Passport (of my wife)
3. I-797 (new)
4. Invitation from US Consulate (on my name)
5. Marriage Certificate
6. Employment Verification

Thanks again, will update the post if I find any new stuff.

Forgot to add

7. Two most recent pay stubs (mine)
8. Original Degree certificates and Transcripts (of my wife, to be safe)
9. Copies of Tax Returns (mine)
10. Bank Statements
10. Fees

Forgot to add

7. Two most recent pay stubs (mine)
8. Original Degree certificates and Transcripts (of my wife, to be safe)
9. Copies of Tax Returns (mine)
10. Bank Statements
10. Fees

You can also write a request letter to Canada consulate that your wife...also wants to visit Canada with you as you are going for H1 visa stamp from US consulate in Canada and she also has to get her H4 visa stamp from US consulate in Canada. write that YOU have Valid Visa for Canada

Last edited by a moderator: