Canadian PR & U.S Green card

bradley_asylee

Hello my asylee brothers. 1 month ago I got approved for GC, I am notice date of September 2000. In 2003 I got married and my wife is in germany. The USCIS denied my petition for I-730 because 2 years had passed since my asylum grant. I applied for I-130 but that will take 4 years to get her here.

My question is, Can I apply for canadian Permanent residency even if I obtained my GC through asylum? I have skilled worker status so I will be approved. I dont want to lose my U.S Green card so how can I get her close to me so at least I can visit her for few months. If I get approved for canadian PR, do I have to give my U.s green card?

Please help me to answer my questions.

Sorry that I can not answer your question, but I have another question since i have same situation as you do ( seperation from spouse)
It is just taking so long and crazy stuff happening all the time,
Can you give me some info. about Canadian paper work and how does it work, any website you have gone through or any lawyer that you may know them,
I really appreciate you help.

Regards,

Nas

I think there is no restriction for you to get permanent residency in other country since you got GC. and there may be one more option coming, some congressmen are considering reopen V visa to wife of GC holder. maybe in next year, you will hear some good news

bradley_asylee said:
Hello my asylee brothers. 1 month ago I got approved for GC, I am notice date of September 2000. In 2003 I got married and my wife is in germany. The USCIS denied my petition for I-730 because 2 years had passed since my asylum grant. I applied for I-130 but that will take 4 years to get her here.

My question is, Can I apply for canadian Permanent residency even if I obtained my GC through asylum? I have skilled worker status so I will be approved. I dont want to lose my U.S Green card so how can I get her close to me so at least I can visit her for few months. If I get approved for canadian PR, do I have to give my U.s green card?

Holding both canadian PR and US PR is tough as a deal.You will be jumping between two cuntries all the time to save both status.In addition,the law doesn't allow an alien to hold two Residences.Also,canada and US have almost same immigration computing system.This may be tough for you to keep crossing the border so long without any trouble.I advice you to finish up with your US race.Once you become US citizen,the rest is easy.If you decide to reside in canada as US citizen, at any canadian Port of Entry let IO know this and he/she will let you fill out papers work and you will get your Residence.On my way to canada last month,I saw three US citizens requesting for canadian Residence at canadian port of entry and they got it without problem.
About your wife,I think you would choose to reside in california or any other state where immigration business depends on california service center.Cause in california,it takes about one year to get I-130 approved.I mean I-130 is really fast in california compare to Nebraska,texas and vermont.
Good luck

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Hello,

It is 100% for sure that you CAN apply and maintain both US and Canadian green card at the same time, period.

However, in order to keep your dual statuses, you must physically live in both US and Canada to meet the requirements. In addition, you need to pay tax in both US and Canada.

cadel said:
Holding both canadian PR and US PR is tough as a deal.You will be jumping between two cuntries all the time to save both status.In addition,the law doesn't allow an alien to hold two Residences.Also,canada and US have almost same immigration computing system.This may be tough for you to keep crossing the border so long without any trouble.I advice you to finish up with your US race.Once you become US citizen,the rest is easy.If you decide to reside in canada as US citizen, at any canadian Port of Entry let IO know this and he/she will let you fill out papers work and you will get your Residence.On my way to canada last month,I saw three US citizens requesting for canadian Residence at canadian port of entry and they got it without problem.
About your wife,I think you would choose to reside in california or any other state where immigration business depends on california service center.Cause in california,it takes about one year to get I-130 approved.I mean I-130 is really fast in california compare to Nebraska,texas and vermont.
Good luck

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Cadel, I-130 for PR depends on visa availability...it doesn't matter where you apply. It can speed up processing for spouse of U.s Citizens in california..but maybe 2-3 months faster.

Lets not give hopes to this poor soul. Currently I-130 for PR is approved in 4 years..

freemanmo said:
I think there is no restriction for you to get permanent residency in other country since you got GC. and there may be one more option coming, some congressmen are considering reopen V visa to wife of GC holder. maybe in next year, you will hear some good news

freemanmo, do you know which law is that? And V visa was valid for any PR who had applied for their spouse if 3 years had passed...Is that the same law of 3 years wait period..

My wife is H-1 and i would love to adjust her..currently her employer is playing games with her..it sucks!

wantmygcnow said:
Cadel, I-130 for PR depends on visa availability...it doesn't matter where you apply. It can speed up processing for spouse of U.s Citizens in california..but maybe 2-3 months faster.

Lets not give hopes to this poor soul. Currently I-130 for PR is approved in 4 years..

Want,after being screened and fingerprinted X times to get GC.Seeing RDs 2002 getting approved while RDs 2000 and 2001 are left behind.Seeing lot of RFI and Bio letters for RD 2003,2004 and 2005, we all should remain alert on the way uscis is working.When you say 4 years to get I-130 approved,this is theoretical.When you look on uscis processing time,you see I-130 for PR filling for a spouse is jan 01,2005 in California, jan 01,2004 in Vermont,june 01,2002 in Nebraska and March 2001 in Texas as of Dec 08,2005.Who knows,may be things will change in the next few months as we saw for asylees adjustement with a cap lift or lottery cancellation.Theoretically,I was expected to get my GC in 2010.But as unexpected,I got my GC in 2005.This is not giving hopes to poor soul as you said,but it's the only way to help folks dealling with uscis.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

bradley_asylee said:
If I get approved for canadian PR, do I have to give my U.s green card?

U.S. green card holder did apply for canadien P.R. ..the canadien immigration officer ask him do you gonna keep you U.S.green card? he answer:yes.
the officer denied his case.
:mad:

wantmygcnow said:
freemanmo, do you know which law is that? And V visa was valid for any PR who had applied for their spouse if 3 years had passed...Is that the same law of 3 years wait period..

My wife is H-1 and i would love to adjust her..currently her employer is playing games with her..it sucks!
Hi, Want, the Bill was introduced in house and senate committee, and it is not assured when congressmen will vote it. hopefully, it will be passed next year, which will benefit a lot of GC holders
check the following links
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:2:./temp/~c109CCHny7::
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/12/BAG9CG6DON1.DTL

Hi guys,

Its been awhile... Any way hope everyone is having a good holiday. Its nice to see approvals occuring at such a fast rate.

I felt like I needed to interject about the I-130 discussion that is going on. This is a very serious matter and is often confusing.

First of all, in our category (PR Relative), the approval of an I-130 does not mean anything. Let me explain by what I mean. There is a cap of the number of visas allowed for such adjustments, and currently they are working on I-130s with Jan 2002 priority dates. So sitting with an approved I-130 means absolutely nothing unless your priority date is current with the visas being worked today.

Another important fact is that the approval of an I-130 does not give an individual status in the USA as well. A spouse must maintain his/her status independently until a visa number becomes available and an I-485 is submitted.

Hope this clears up some questions. Please let me know if you have any questions.

LolaLi said:
Hi guys,

Its been awhile... Any way hope everyone is having a good holiday. Its nice to see approvals occuring at such a fast rate.

I felt like I needed to interject about the I-130 discussion that is going on. This is a very serious matter and is often confusing.

First of all, in our category (PR Relative), the approval of an I-130 does not mean anything. Let me explain by what I mean. There is a cap of the number of visas allowed for such adjustments, and currently they are working on I-130s with Jan 2002 priority dates. So sitting with an approved I-130 means absolutely nothing unless your priority date is current with the visas being worked today.

Another important fact is that the approval of an I-130 does not give an individual status in the USA as well. A spouse must maintain his/her status independently until a visa number becomes available and an I-485 is submitted.

Hope this clears up some questions. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Lolali, to clear it up more. there are two forms of I-130, One is for U.s Citizen relative and one is for PR relatives. I-130 for U.S Citizens are approved within 3-4 months and visa issued by the embassy of the country where your spouse is. I-130 for PR spouse is put in a queue..

I think Jan 2002 is also listed on the state department's website for priority 2A, spouse of a PR....SO it is a valid date.