Canadian entering US at a non-Canadian airport

OttawaSenators

Registered Users (C)
I will be traveling to Europe in a month and I will re-enter US thru a non-Canadian airport like JFK. I have a choice which airport since I haven't bought my ticket yet. It could be JFK, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco etc.

I'd appreciate any Canadian sharing his/her experience entering US thru one of the above airports. Which one is the eaisiest with the least amount of hassle? Or at least the CBP officer knows things like 'Canadians don't need a visa'.

I already have a status and don't need to apply for a new one.

Thanks

If you did not live in USA, than you shall have no problem, but keep records with you

you shall have records like Canadian House Mortage or lease and Business links like business cards, bank cards etc. in case. than you also need a return ticket to Canada and buy ticket from Canada

smali was real helpful, wasn't he?

getting back to our program, all airport POEs will be familiar with TN. Jus tbe sure you keep either the I-94 or a copy of it when you leave US, as the I-94 is supposed to be handed in to airline staff upon departure.

Thanks Nelson.

I am gonna try to hold on to my I-94 unless the airlines persist. At least I won't let them take it until my connection (when I am about to literally leave the US soil).

Hi,

Last year, I have used JFK, LAX, Newark and Washington DC coming every time from Europe, and never had any problem. I always had my passport and my I94.

I thought I alreaady made it clear that I had a status in the US, meaning I legally live and work in the US.

i am sorry, but i do not see any where above that you made it clear that u work in us legally.we still do not know what kind of status you have. some one said it is TN. if that is, than you only need proof of TN status, stamps in passport or I-94. You can make a photo copy of I-94, in case they take it away. You think this is good advise? Don't you? Still since TN is a non-immigrat visa, you are suppose to maintain a permanent connection to Canada, viz house, bank accounts, tax returns etc etc

Still since TN is a non-immigrat visa, you are suppose to maintain a permanent connection to Canada, viz house, bank accounts, tax returns etc etc
see, we knew you did not know what you are talking about. There is no need to maintain any of these ties in TN (nor in many other statuses, like H1, L1, etc).

So, no, it was not good advice.

see, we knew you did not know what you are talking about. There is no need to maintain any of these ties in TN (nor in many other statuses, like H1, L1, etc).

So, no, it was not good advice.

He/she sounds like one of these lawyers who try to sell H1-GC path. I've heard this "maintaining residence abroad" only from lawyers before. Even by using common sense, how can you maintain a residence abroad when you are working or studying in the US for quite a few years?! I have been on TN, H1 and F1 before and was never asked by immigration officials to prove residence abroad.

Hi,

Last year, I have used JFK, LAX, Newark and Washington DC coming every time from Europe, and never had any problem. I always had my passport and my I94.

Thanks, that's a bit of relief. I have picked San Francisco as my point of entry. It is in the hi-tech region and I work in hi-tech, so they should be quite familiar with cases like mine.

So you never surrendered your I94 on the way out?

He/she sounds like one of these lawyers who try to sell H1-GC path. I've heard this "maintaining residence abroad" only from lawyers before. Even by using common sense, how can you maintain a residence abroad when you are working or studying in the US for quite a few years?! I have been on TN, H1 and F1 before and was never asked by immigration officials to prove residence abroad.

Look, this guy was just clueless from the get-go. He even said you needed a return ticket. and then he tries to force us to admit his brilliant advice was right, that it was Senator who didn't explain himself.

I don't think he can spell H1-B if you spot him the H and the 1.

Thankfully he doesn't troll here very often.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you never surrendered your I94 on the way out?

I always keep the most recent. I know in theory I should not, but I feel more comfortable with the original than with a copy, especially at the other end (European airport) where authorities want to see if you are allowed to have a one-way flight to the US before letting you boarding ... But I am not saying you should do like me, in theory the officially best way is just to keep a copy of your I94, and if "my way" works, the "best way" should work even better.

Most of the time, the immigration officer tells me I should have given it back, issues a new one and either keeps mine or gives me a form and tells me to mail it back together with the I94. Sometimes they are lazy and re-validate my I94 instead of giving me a new one. Once (in Newark if I remember correctly), the officer was confused, he wanted to revalidate mine but when he saw I had prepared a new one when I was in the line, he said he did not want me to be upset to have done that for nothing, so he processed the new one but striked its number trough and copied the number of the old I94 instead - and validated it that way in the system. I was a bit concerned, but believe it or not, the following times I went out and back in the US I had no problem (and it was not in the same airport).

All this to say ... Have your passport and a proof you already are under TN (I94 or copy) and it will be fine. I also keep a copy of my initial application with me, in case, but was never asked for it. Does not mean it could not happen, though ...

jyramn's approach is sensible: try to keep the I-94, but be prepared to give it up without confrontation by having a copy.