Canadian Citizenship Application and US Permanent Residency

johnny09

Registered Users (C)
Ive been a permanent resident in canada for 2 years and i am about to get the US Green Card in a couple Months, I work and own a home in Canada but i don't wanna lose the Green Card as Well, My question is: in the citizenship application there is a question that asks about residency in a different country, will the US GC affect my chances at the canadian citizenship approval?
Thanks Guys,
Joe

Ive been a permanent resident in canada for 2 years and i am about to get the US Green Card in a couple Months, I work and own a home in Canada but i don't wanna lose the Green Card as Well, My question is: in the citizenship application there is a question that asks about residency in a different country, will the US GC affect my chances at the canadian citizenship approval?
Thanks Guys,
Joe

Yes, there could be questions regarding your US green card. The answers to these questions will have an effect on the result of your citizenship application.

Having US GC will not prevent you from getting Cdn citizenship, of course.

The question will be whether the steps you need to take to maintain US PR status make your claim of number of days spent in Canada trustworthy.

As long as you can prove that you have spent the requisite days in Canada as Cdn PR, you will be granted Cdn citizenship regardless of any other foreign status you may hold at the time.

Whether the time you need to spend in canada wil disqualify you from keeping your GC is another, separate question.