Canadian Citizen - what to do after getting citizenship

m_img

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I became US Citizen recently. Obviously they took my green card. I really don't need US passport as I have Canadian passport. Do I need to carry my 6x10 Citizenship certificate with me?

Also, how will my 16 year old son travel. He also have Canadian Passport.

Thanks,

US law requires US citizens to enter the US with a US passport (with some exceptions like NEXUS card or, for sea or land entry, "enhanced driver's licenses"). Although they can't technically deny a US citizen entry, you can expect them to give you a hard time and some stern lectures if you try to enter the US without a US passport (or one of the other accepted documents).

Your son, if he was a US permanent resident and living with you in the US, is now a US citizen and also needs a US passport to enter the US like you. Though the US government might not know that he's a citizen and he might be able to get away with using his green card for a while.

Thanks!

It is going backwards. I had greencard and just showed that to enter because I have Canadian passport for travel. Just showed greencard along with Canadian Passport. I wish they had citizenship card as greencard instead of big certificate.

What if I carry citizenship certificate with Canadian Passport?

Thanks!

It is going backwards. I had greencard and just showed that to enter because I have Canadian passport for travel. Just showed greencard along with Canadian Passport. I wish they had citizenship card as greencard instead of big certificate.

What if I carry citizenship certificate with Canadian Passport?
They will give you a stern lecture about why you need a US passport, maybe detain you for a while to verify your citizenship, and let you in.

If you want a card, you can get a US passport card, or get a NEXUS card, or Global Entry or one of those programs. If you live in one of the few states with "enhanced driver's licenses", you can use that too.

They won't fine you (yet), but as newacct said, they will probably hassle you, ranging from a basic lecture to secondary inspection and a long wait. You really don't want to deal with this, especially if you intend to cross the border often. If you're in BC, MB, ON or QC, an enhanced DL would be good, but only for land and sea crossings.

Thank you all!

I did apply for passport and waiting. It just does not makes sense that I can come as visitor on Canadian passport but not as USA national without USA passport. My oath was taken by Canadian citizen who was naturalized citizen.

Well, it sort of does make sense though - when you weren't a US citizen, you entered on a non-US passport (also because you don't have/aren't entitled to a US passport). Now you are a US citizen, so you enter on a US passport.

If you need to travel urgently, then you can do so and just be prepared to deal with any hassle. Take the letter to prove you applied for your passport, but had to travel urgently. You can also take that receipt, proof of need to travel, and show up at a passport office to get a same-day passport.