Canadian Citizen marriage to USA Green Card holder

AskMeNot

I am not sure if this is correct forum but I think this is the most appropriate:

I am a Green Card holder and intend to marry a Canadian citizen. I would like inputs on:
  1. After marriage, Can the Canadian citizen stay in the USA based on Canadian citizenship credentials?
    • are there timelines associated with this (only stay for 6 months permitted, etc)
  2. Do I need to apply for a Family based Green card for the prospective spouse
  3. Can the Canadian citizen apply for USA jobs based on Canadian citizenship credentials (OR) would a NAFTA visa or something like that be needed
Also, I would like to know of any other specifics that I need to be aware of with reference to my case above.

Thanks in advance.

1. The Canadian citizen can visit without a visa. Canadian visitors are generally admitted for 6 months.
2. Yes. Note that spouse of permanent resident is in the F2A category, which currently has a wait of about 1.5 years.
3. Not as a visitor. If they have a job offer, they could try to enter the US in TN status, but this can only be done for certain jobs, and has educational requirements, etc.

Thanks newacct

Some follow up questions:
  1. You mentioned that the Canadian citizen can visit without a visa and stay for 6 months. How long does it have to be before the Canadian citizen can re-enter USA to stay another 6 months without visa. In other words, let us say the Canadian citizen stays in USA from Jan 2016 to Jun 2016, can the person re-enter USA in August 2016 to stay another 6 months? Are there rules around this
  2. You mentioned about TN visa status - do you know the rules/categories around this or the types of jobs that the Canadian citizen can apply

A1: Theoretically, if granted re-entry, the Canadian citizen can re-enter in August 2016. However, a genuine visitor should never spend more than 6 months in the US during any rolling 12 month window.
A2: Read up the sub-forum on TN visas

1. You mentioned that the Canadian citizen can visit without a visa and stay for 6 months. How long does it have to be before the Canadian citizen can re-enter USA to stay another 6 months without visa. In other words, let us say the Canadian citizen stays in USA from Jan 2016 to Jun 2016, can the person re-enter USA in August 2016 to stay another 6 months? Are there rules around this
  2. You mentioned about TN visa status - do you know the rules/categories around this or the types of jobs that the Canadian citizen can apply