Canadian Citizen for 3-month research position in US -- need nonimmigrant visa

mermaid_love

Hi everyone,

I was granted a research position for the fall for just under three months. It is a public policy research organization and I will be working out of their NY office. It is PAID. They have never hosted a "foreign" intern before. This is not an exchange program.

As a Canadian citizen it comes to my attention that I can visit the US for up to 6 months per calendar year. During that time, you are considered a Visitor, and not eligible to work.

In this paid position, I will be working for the organization. But I have no idea what visa I need.

1) J visa?

I don't know if I will be a foreign academic in this case, even though I will be working in a research office (publishing articles, writing for their magazine) and have a BA from a Canadian university. Moreover, the center I will be working at is not a governmental center, nor is it an educational institution (college/university). Would it be private sector?

2) TN visa?

The TN is a non-immigrant visa, usually valid for One Year (renewable). I need a job offer from a US employer. I do not know if I am eligible for the TN because
a) I'm going there for less than three months and
b) It is not a job offer but an paid research position offer for a short duration of time, and
c) I don't think a "researcher" not based in a post-secondary institution is eligible under NAFTA

A Canadian citizen without a TN visa can apply at a U.S. port of entry with the required documents. If this is suitable,

a) is a photocopy of my transcript enough? how do I photocopy my Degree?
b) this is an amateurish question, but with the TN visa, the idea is that you have a job lined up; if it is successful, do you then enter the states and can go back to Canada to move your belongings?

Is there any other option?

I don't know where to start with this question. My employer has mentioned that they will do the necessary paperwork, but that it is mainly my responsibility to figure out what kind of visa is necessary

Canadian citizen living abroad visit USA

Hi,

One of my friend who is Canadian Citizen living abroad for last 5 years or so, want to visit USA first time. I want to ask what documents he will required to enter US. All Canadian IDs except passport are expired. He is working outside the Canada.

Please guide in this regard.

Thank

Mor