Canadian citizen denied at US border

revjim

Please advise on the correct course of action to take or any mistakes or omissions you may see in the steps we have taken.

On September 5th, 2002, my girlfriend (a candian citizen) flew to see me (a United States citizen) in Dallas, TX on a one way ticket. She was admitted without any problems as a visitor. She returned to Canada in December and I went to visit her for Christmas. On December 31st we attempted to travel back to the United States via the Toronto Pearson airport. She was denied.

I didn't really think about it much. I should have been much more cautious.

We approached the INS counter together. That was my first mistake. When they asked if she was my girlfriend, I said "yes". That was my second mistake. She is enrolled in correspondence classes (classes via the Internet and via mail) in Canada and studies while visiting me in the US. However, we didn't have any proof of that with us. We didn't have a round trip ticket (though she intends to return at the beginning of April to take her tests). She doesn't currently have a job in Canada (how can she hold a job if she's going to be with me for three months), and we had no proof of her financial status (though she has enough money to support herself and is the daughter of parents with enough money to support her).

The INS officer that interviewed my girlfriend treated her very rudely. Additionally, regardless of how nice I was to the INS supervisor, he refused to listen to me, and refused to give me straight answers to any of my questions.

Since that time, my girlfriend has obtained the following.

A notarized document from her school stating that she is enrolled in classes and that tests are in the beginning of April.

A notarized document from her bank displaying the contents of her accounts.

A signed document from her father stating his willingness to support her financially.

A Canadian passport.

A letter from an Ontario MP stating that she and her family are upstanding citizens of Canada. This document is notarized and has a photocopy of her passport on the front of it.

A letter from her previous employer that states that, upon her return to Canada she will be offered the ability to return to work with them.

A letter from a local retail shop stating that, upon her return to Canada she will be offered a job with them if she desires.

A letter from an OOP cheif stating that she and her family are upstanding citizens of Canada.

We intend to obtain a round-trip ticket from Buffalo to Dallas. Since she lives in Northern Ontario, she will take a Greyhound bus to Buffalo.

Is this the best course of action to take? Is there anything else we can do to ensure she will not be denied at the border, again?

We just want to be together. We're open to all suggestions.

(I am currently investigating both K1 and K3 options as well. If you have additional information you'd like to offer there I'd be happy to hear it.)

Thank you in advance.

Daniel

The only way is fiancee visa

Now that the US INS knows that a candian citizen has a US love interest, she is a potential immigrant, Unless she can prove she is not. By coming to visit you she is proving that she does has an US boyfriend. F1, visitor and any other visa won't work as they need the intent to not immigrate.
Also for 3 months visit to US candians need a visa, the visa less entry is good only for 30 days.

just out of curiosity...

...if you pardon my asking, danny, ol' chap, what race are you, and what race is your girlfriend? the reason i am asking is, i have some experience in travelling between canada and the u.s.

even as a british subject living in canada, i was treated much differently by those INS blokes than non-caucasian canadians wanting to travel to the u.s., who didn't fare so well...

so it might be just that.