Canada Visit

hopeofgc

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

We are planning to visit Canada sometime next month. We have a US LPR (since 2007) and my daugher is US Citizen. I have Canada PR, which i got in July 2004 prior to US LPR and my Canada PR got expired last month.

So, my question is

1) Can i travel on US LPR now? While entering Canada and returning to US.

2) What is the best way get in and out of Canada? In other words, mode of transportation by Car or flight? I heard some ppl. (LPR) were grilled while returning to US via car?

3) Does US Immigration takes photo and fingerprints while returning to US?

4) Does CA immigration asks any question on my Canada PR? There is an Canada immigration stamp in 2004 on my passport?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi All,

1) Can i travel on US LPR now? While entering Canada and returning to US.

2) What is the best way get in and out of Canada? In other words, mode of transportation by Car or flight? I heard some ppl. (LPR) were grilled while returning to US via car?

4) Does CA immigration asks any question on my Canada PR? There is an Canada immigration stamp in 2004 on my passport?

1) Based on the information you provided, you can ONLY travel on your US LPR card.

2) It really depends on where you live and where you want to go. There are POE inspections whether by land or by air.

3) Yes, unless you are a Canadian Citizen (Canadian Passport + US LPR)

4) Questions by IO? Maybe, maybe not. But since your Canadian LPR has expired and pre-dates your US LPR, AND you will be traveling on your US LPR back to your permanent residence in the USA, there should be no issues.

1) Yes you can
2) any way that is better for you. They also question people at the airport btw
3) Depends. I have never been fingerprinted at the border (I fly)
4) So what if they ask? Just tell them you let it expire because you dont want it

I have traveled to Canada by car 4 times while being a LPR, and not even once did they grill me upon returning to the US. First question they always asked was "Where do you live?", then "where do you work or study?", and lastly "Anything to declare?". Sometimes they also ask about the purpose and duration of the visit to Canada.

I always travel to Canada by car just because I live close enough to the border. Also, I would suppose that the border guards treat car travelers with less suspicion as to their actual residence in the USA. American CBP agents always scan GC or passports when returning to the US, but sometimes Canadians don't even look at the documents. For instance, in the winter, a Canadian lady border guard at the Lynden crossing only looked at my I-551 stamp in the passport while my parents and my wife did not even hand their documents to her. She just asked us with a smile, "Do you all have proper documents to return to the USA? Have a good time in Canada". However, a month ago while using a bigger Pacific Highway crossing with the actual American passports, another Canadian border guard scanned all our passports and asked us dozen of questions before letting us in. So, while there is not a well-defined pattern, I would say that Canadian border guards at the smaller crossings are typically more friendly and less suspicious.

They are more likely to take them at airports rather than land crossings, but it all depends. Some smaller land crossings/ferry terminals are not even equiped with the biometrics machines.

Totally agree. I once crossed from Maine into Quebec and the Canadian border post was a small hut where I had to ring a bell in order to get the CIC agent to come out of the hut and process my entry :)

I would say that Canadian border guards at the smaller crossings are typically more friendly and less suspicious.