Can you get passport in 1 day in emergency?

thrix

Registered Users (C)
Can you get passport in 1 day, because of emergency situation at Passport office? For example: someone applied at USPS for US Passport and his/her certificate of naturalization was sent with the application, so you have no citizenship proof. But suddenly you need emergency trip abroad. Can you get passport somehow or no use? Only thing you got is copy of certificate of naturalization.

Is this a hypothetical question, or a real one? I don't know the answer ;) I guess it all will depend on how helpful the person at the passport office wants to be. I guess having a copy instead of an original will cause issues. I would guess that it would be easier for them to track down the original application and expedite that one, but I am just guessing. It is probably not going to be easy.

My 2 cents.

I had a similar situation recently for my child....I was told that I could go to the Chicago passport agency with new pictures and documentation to prove citizenship and pay no expedite fee since the application was already pending with State Department for over 6 weeks. Since I had additional copies of birth certificate I would have been able to do that. But I called the NPIC few more times and they upgraded the passport processing to expedite and sent it via next day Fedex (Saturday delivery). Initial application filed was for routine processing.