Can you get married with an EXPIRED passport? Risky?

devochka

My fiance entered legally 3.5 years ago and has become out of status. EVERYTHING he has is expired including his passport...we want to get married but how do we go about doing so? We are in Los Angeles, California. Can we get married with his birth certificate and expired passports?

Renewing passports takes atleast 1.5 years through Russia (it's a long, painful process while they verify you have citizenship there, property, and then you have to renew TWO passports: one for inside russia and one for traveling)...we don't really want to wait but is waiting our best bet?

I heard you can get married with an International ID/Driver's License but I don't know if we should take the chance. Would it be too risky if we go to the interview and they ask to see which documents we used to get married???

Please tell me your advice:

Should we just wait it out for 1.5 years and use a valid Passport, government issued from Russia? Or should we do an ID from Russian Documentation Center ( I myself do not know how valid that document is) seems sketchy....:confused:

We have researched the Recorder's offices and all say documents must be VALID, nothing expired is accepted. I hope we are mistaken...... :(

We just have time against us as it is, but if it's worth the wait we will wait....

I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW: IF HIS MOTHER (GC HOLDER) AND SISTER (USC) PETITIONED FOR HIM WILL IT REVOKE OUR MARRIAGE IF WE FILED???

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you and God Bless

Happy Holidays

Last edited by a moderator:
Devochka can you please give us an update on your situation? I'm going through the same thing with my girlfriend. She is from Russia, came to the US on a visa 4 years ago but, time has passed and her Visa and passport have expired. We want to get married but in Florida they say you need a valid passport or ID. Basically stuck between a rock and a hard place because the Embassy says they cannot renew an expired passport if the visa is expired... Personally, I don't think they will notice her passport is expired if we go to get married because they're more concerned with her date of birth, place of origin and if the passport is in fact hers. Any advice or udate would be greatly appreciated... Thanks :)

Any VALID ID or Passport, anything valid with picture of the person on it is required. Luckily I got renewed my passport few months before i quit school and lost my F-1 status. I remember quite well the lady at the city hall asking me for the renewed/stamped page. You can always go to your County website and see the required documents if you too concerned about calling them. Good luck on your quest and please let us know what happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going thru the same issue as devochka. I live in atlanta Ga. Can i ask which county did u go get married in. I went to Dekalb and they ask me to get a Valid GA ID which i cant get. I have tried ederything and spoken to a bunch of lawyers and they said that i should be able to use my Expired passport as an ID. Please help.

Fly to LV and get married there :)

I am going thru the same issue as devochka. I live in atlanta Ga. Can i ask which county did u go get married in. I went to Dekalb and they ask me to get a Valid GA ID which i cant get. I have tried ederything and spoken to a bunch of lawyers and they said that i should be able to use my Expired passport as an ID. Please help.

Yes, do not worry! I did not get married in California, but here I had not problems at all, they didn't even look at the date, and if they did they didn't say anything, it was one month expired.
But a passport is a identification anywhere, worldwide, don't worry you could do that! But do like I did, call the court or wherever you're getting married at and ask them.

Good luck!!!

we went and got the marriage license without any trouble. it was easier in fulton then in deakalb. thanks everyone for your help.