Can we asylees renew our national passports?

porkman

Registered Users (C)
I am an asylee now and I just filed my 485 this month. My passport is going to expire next year. Can I go to my country\'s embassy to renew my passport? Will this action invalidate my asylee status? Does INS has a specific rule saying that asylees would waive his status if he choose to renew the passport?

No Title

I don\'t think that this is a good idea. You definitely should not go to your embassy. There is a fair chance that you will slip through the cracks, but why risk? I am pretty sure that if this will come up on greencard interview you will lose.

No Title

Is there a very compelling reason for you to renew? If not (which is my assumption), then why would you take the chance?

Good luck.

YES

Keagles:
Renewal after GC is Allowed but will make you permanently ineligible for RTD in the future.(See Form I-131) Remember RTD allows for Visa-free travel in many western countries (eg. Germany)

But...

Will my country\'s embassy I am a asylee if i try update passport? The reason i want come back to my country is to visit my old parents.....
Also, if you come back to your own coury after get GC , will you have trouble applying citizenship? Thanks!

Canada

RTD can enter Germany without any visa but why do RTD need canadian visa? i think its stupid

Any difficulty Gilbert?

do u have any difficulty applying for canadian visa with your RTD? what shoould i provide them if i\'m a student. Thanxs