Can TN be renewed if Passport will expire?

adams7

I am a Canadian citizen currently living and working in the U.S on a TN visa, My TN status expires July, 2007 and I wanted to renew it for an additional year. My passport expires October 2007. My question is whether I can renew my TN status in July for an additional year even though my passport expires October 2007 or will I have to first renew my passport. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You didn't need passport to get TN, and you don't need it now, so the expiry date of your passport doesn't matter at all.

I called the U.S consulate in Atlanta and was told that I needed to have my passport renewed first or Immigration would not issue the visa past the expiration of my passport, is this not true?

When I renew my visa at Montreal airport at the beginning of May they said anything about my passport and it expire in June 2007...I have a new visa valid for all year and I send my passport when I came back in the US to be renew and it will take 10 weeks than I can't travel by plane to go back in Canada during that time. But I keep my visa stapled in my passport with me and if I have to go in Canada, I will be able to travel by car. (I just think it's really stupid to have to send my still valid passport to have a new one when it take so long...)

I called the U.S consulate in Atlanta and was told that I needed to have my passport renewed first or Immigration would not issue the visa past the expiration of my passport, is this not true?

It is not true. hy would the cdn consulate know the rules on US border procedures.

And TN is not a visa.

i already have a thread on this. I called the Buffalo border and talked to a US customs agent and they said all you need is proof you were born in canada, birth cert with photo ID. It also says you dont need a passport on the US government website, mexicans need a passport but not canadians.

I lost my passport and I am going this June to get my TN renewal with just my birth certificate.

... and before anyone askes this for the 100th time... Cdns born outside canada can use their Citizenship card as proof of citizenship (since their birth cert is not) instead of Passport.