Can L1B Visa be transferred to another company?

deepalijm

Hello all,

I need to know if L1B visa can be transferred to another company?
Probably I know the answer already is "No". But is there a way (loop hole or something) by which this can be achieved?
I've been told that this can be done but am not aware how.
Also can a L1B holder work for another company legally w/o transferring the visa?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deepali.

This is possible in the rarest of rare cases. If you have previously worked for the company that you intend to work for now and possess specialized knowledge about that company's processes, techniques, products and methodologies, then it is possible to make a case for L1B transfer.

However, if you have not worked previously for the company that you plan on joining, it is not possible to use L1B. Of course, you can always apply for a change of status from the L category to the H category, but it could take a while to get it transferred.

So the short answer is No except in the situation mentioned above.

I have this scenario, where I have worked for company A in the past for 2+ Yrs, now in USA Company B

This is possible in the rarest of rare cases. If you have previously worked for the company that you intend to work for now and possess specialized knowledge about that company's processes, techniques, products and methodologies, then it is possible to make a case for L1B transfer.

However, if you have not worked previously for the company that you plan on joining, it is not possible to use L1B. Of course, you can always apply for a change of status from the L category to the H category, but it could take a while to get it transferred.

So the short answer is No except in the situation mentioned above.

I am really glad to see the above response. Now in my case:
I have worked for Company A in India for 2+ Years and quit that company A and Joined Company B.
Now I am in USA through Company B in L1-B Visa for past 2 years. I now have an option to Join Company A, but unfortunately my H1 application did not make it through in 2013 quota. So this is where I found your response stating that in the past If I have worked for a company in India for more than a Year, I have this option to change the Visa.. I would like to know more about this. It will be highly appreciated if you could help me understand this.

To be clear:

I am on L1-B through Company B in USA.
Can I move to comapny A( in which I have worked for 2 years in the past) either through L1 Visa change from company b to company or can the company A apply for new L1 visa before I join them. As I cannot join them until they have L1 visa for me.