Can I use my I 485 receipt to get a Drivers Permit?

ChrisBlaze

So I'm 18 and I'm not so clear on all the paper work I have. I had an EAD which expired and my parents lost anyway. I have an i 485 receipt as proof they accepted my form and it will be reviewed. I was accepted for a green card a year and a half ago and nothing has arrived yet.
So I'm in New York and I went to the DMV with 9 points. They told me I need a proof of birth. I had my new Indian passport with no Visa stamp. They told me I need some kind of proof that it's on its way. I have no proof that I have been accepted for it but I have proof that I have filed for it (the I 485 receipt). Would this be enough as a proof of birth/residency for the DMV in New York?

No. You need an EAD. You can get an EAD for free as an AOS applicant; you will get it within 90 days of applying. When you said you had an EAD, do you mean an AOS-based EAD or another EAD? If you had an AOS-based EAD that was expiring, you could just renew it, for free (and you can do this forever as long as your AOS is pending). If you didn't get an AOS-based EAD, you can get one now (again, for free).

I was told I cannot apply for a work permit (in new york apparently it's like 500 dollats for one year?) because I've already been accepted though I've never recieved any welcome letter in the mail which was suppose to come in 30 days of being accepted.

What do you mean you've been "accepted"? You use very confusing terminology. You said "i 485 receipt as proof they accepted my form" which means you mean the I-485 was filed and received. Having I-485 pending means you can get EAD for free (indefinitely). The only reason you would not be able to get an EAD based on having I-485 pending is if your I-485 is already approved, i.e. you are already a permanent resident. Is that what you're trying to say?

Yes it is approved but I have not recieved any type of proof that it is approved. I haven't recieved my permanent residency card yet. It's been over a year and a half.

Again, you CANNOT use an I-485 receipt to get a driver's license. If your I-485 is approved, as you say, then your I-485 receipt is meaningless anyway.

If you are already a permanent resident, but have not received the card yet, you can make an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp at any time. The stamp is equivalent in every way to the plastic card. By the way, you should have been able to check the case status of your case online and it should say card has been produced or not. If it's been a long time since the card has been produced, and you didn't get it, then you should contact USCIS to see if it got lost.

Go in and try to get an I-551 stamp. If I-485 is really approved, they will give you one. If it's not approved, then you can apply for an EAD for free. You should be able to get one of these.