Can I travel with 8 mnths valid Passport?

spouse

Registered Users (C)
I am travelling to india in october (returning on nov7th) with PP stamp (seperate card was stamped not really a pp stamp)..My passport is expiring on june 22,2005...is it o.k to travel with this validity.?.or do i need to renew it and go?..I thought of renewing after i return from india.

getting a new passport from indian consulate is a 2 week affair. why dont u get a new one.

I agree with c610's comments. It normally takes 2 weeks for you get the passport once you file for renewal.

By your own admission, you are a good 2 months away from your trip. Don't wait until you return, get it done.

You can check at IndianEmbassy.org for all the details and the office to which you have to do a prepaid fedex with your passport so that they can quickly process renew and return it back. If you are in a city where the Indian Consulate is like Washington DC, SFO or Chicago, then you can go there with the papers file and get it done.

If they are not too busy you might even get back your passport along with the new one in a week's time.

Good Luck.

You can only apply for a new passport upto 6 months from the date your old passport expires. So it is not an option for you, but you can travel on your current passport, and as soon as you get back you can apply for a new passport.

It is going to be very interesting to see you explain to the immigration authorities in India that the seperate piece of paper you have saying your AOS has been approved, actually allows you to enter the US Again. :) Do post those experiences after you get back, they will make for an interesting reading.

I think....just get a new passport. Though they say 6 months I think they
allow you to apply for it 1 year before.

If they don't allow you...say my appearance has changed a lot and
Immigration officer here and in India give me a hard time. You can
get passport for change of appearance anytime.

And after 10 years your appearance must have changed a lot....I mean
unless you are ome of those fortunate people like me who don't age. :D

Brag Brag Brag Brag :D :D :D :D

140_takes_4ever said:
You can only apply for a new passport upto 6 months from the date your old passport expires. So it is not an option for you, but you can travel on your current passport, and as soon as you get back you can apply for a new passport.

It is going to be very interesting to see you explain to the immigration authorities in India that the seperate piece of paper you have saying your AOS has been approved, actually allows you to enter the US Again. :) Do post those experiences after you get back, they will make for an interesting reading.
No -- See this link

http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/visa/indian_services.html#npp2
I quote
When should you apply for the new passport ?

i) Within one year of expiry of your passport. For example if your passport is expiring on 31st Dec,2002, you can apply for a new one anytime starting from 30th Dec,2001.

BTW, if your PP was issued about 10yrs back, u can't renew - you just get a new one .

So yeah -- send in your application soon ( its a rather simple form ! ) -- you should have your new PP in 10 days or so.

2 yrs ago when i renewed my passport at the SF consulate, they had it ready in a day and a half for pickup (i went there to drop it off around 11am and they called me the next day saying it was ready for pick up at 4pm). try it, it should work - staff was quite helpful.

hmmm

am not very clear - what u mean by PP stamp...so this may be completely wrong tangential advise...

If ur passport is 9 years old, they will give u new passport & old one is cancelled...

If u have a I551 stamping in it & u intend to renew ur passport - if u get new passport, u need to restamp on new passport, if I understand the passport laws correctly...esp. since they cancel ur old passport...

<quote>
What will happen to the valid visas on your old passport ?

The visas will not be cancelled. In case of any valid visas in the expired passport, the visa issuing authority may be approached for getting it transferred or revalidated on the new passport.
</quote>

see link - http://www.indianconsulate-sf.org/

I may be wrong as well...chk the indian embassy site given in link above

Last edited by a moderator: