Can I travel to the US via the Visa Waiver Program days before entering the US on a G4?

luckwhereareyou

Registered Users (C)
Can I travel to the US via the Visa Waiver Program days before entering the US on a G4?
I have just received a G4 to take up a position in an international organization. However, it will take about two weeks before my flight will have been arranged by the organization. In the meantime, I would like to travel to the US on a Visa Waiver Program to visit some friends on the West Coast who invited me and who will soon leave the country. I plan to return after about a week and then re-enter by official travel on the G4. Is it possible to travel to the US on the VWP, not using my G4 (even though its valid) and re-entering a week later making use of my G4? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Karim

Yes, either way you are eligible to enter the US. If the officer at the airport inquires about your G4 visa you can tell him that you plan to enter with that visa when you travel to take the assignment. This is a personal/tourist trip and that is why you are using the VWP.