Can I travel between Interview & Oath Ceremony?

desidoc73

Registered Users (C)
Hi there

I am waiting for my Oath ceremony to take place here in Philadelphia. My interview officer said since I have a name change it will be even sooner than the regulars who are scheduled in April. He also said it would be in a courthouse and probably in Feb. Well its Feb 20th..and I still havent recieved my Oath ceremony letter.

I have to travel to my parents house (internationally) as my father is sick and needs my help next month. Is there anyway I can go? What is my status now anyway? Are we true citizens, citizens on paper or still greencard holders? Thanks for any help in advance...Wishing you all the best!

Make sure someone can check your mail and let you know if you have received the oath letter. You are a permanent resident until you complete the Oath ceremony. Other than that you are fine to travel. I believe you are given the chance to update changes that happen between interview and ceremony (trips, and other information) at the time of the oath ceremony (I think it is part of the oath letter).

My 2 cents.

Huracan is absolutely right. Its only after the Oath Ceremony that you become 'Naturalized", you have to surrender your Green Card, and are issued a Certificate of Naturalization. There have been couple of posts on the forum where some members scheduled their oath (after a successful interview) so they could travel out of the country as Permanent Resident.

Good luck.

Yes you can travel. However you need to check "Yes" on the form on the back of your oath letter where it asks (roughly) "have you left the country since your interview". If it were me, I'd bring proof of my travels to the oath.

As I understant it, you are also required to maintain "continuous residence" and "physical presence" right up to the oath. It wouldn't hurt to bring a copy of your N-400 showing that you haven't broken either of these rules by leaving the country (I'm assuming they could ask about this, but I have no idea if they actually would).

Thank you all for your valuable and much appreciated advice. I wont have continuous residence though because I have to travel internationally but its only for 2 weeks so it doesnt violate the 180 days out of the country.. anyways hopefully my Oath ceremony letter will come very soon. Thank you again