Can I study while the I-485 is pending?

chefou

Registered Users (C)
Right now, my status in the US is I-485 pending and I don't have any other valid visa status. I know I can stay in the US until I get a decision on my 485 and I can work under my EAD. I really want to study for a master degree. Can I study (or apply to a school) in this situation? Or I have to wait until I get the greencard?

Thank you!

I-485 ND: 12/18/2002

Sure, you can study on I 485 pending...Show your school copy of EAD and I485 Receipt Notice..

Hi Chefou,

As you are interested in studying I am also. But I was looking for online study as I will not have any time attending the college. Do you have any idea regarding online Master Degree like phonix or others.....Do they have any value in the US job market and which one is the good online university.

Any idea, anyone.

Unbilievable :mad: :mad:

chefou said:
Right now, my status in the US is I-485 pending and I don't have any other valid visa status. I know I can stay in the US until I get a decision on my 485 and I can work under my EAD. I really want to study for a master degree. Can I study (or apply to a school) in this situation? Or I have to wait until I get the greencard?

Thank you!

I-485 ND: 12/18/2002

If your 485 is employment-based you will need to show proof of employment in case of an RFE. If you plan to do your graduate studies part-time this should not be a problem.

Thank you, npm20011.

Unbelievable,

I am looking for a full-time program in software engineering, so I don't know much about online programs. But I heard that the Phoenix wasn't very good. One of my friends told me that the Virginia Tech had an online program, but I didn't check it out.

mavishka said:
If your 485 is employment-based you will need to show proof of employment in case of an RFE. If you plan to do your graduate studies part-time this should not be a problem.

My I-485 is based on my husband's I-140. I am only a dependent. So this shouldn't be a problem, right?

chefou said:
My I-485 is based on my husband's I-140. I am only a dependent. So this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Then, it is quite straight-forward. I dont think you have anything to worry about. Go ahead and enjoy your schooling.

My lawyer told me that while I-485 is pending, you must be working. However, once I-485 is approved, you may study at school full time. I was surprised to hear that but she confirmed it after I queried her.

chefou said:

Yes, then you're free to study, start your own business, or do anything you wish career-wise.

Not entirely true

Scotgirl said:
My lawyer told me that while I-485 is pending, you must be working. However, once I-485 is approved, you may study at school full time. I was surprised to hear that but she confirmed it after I queried her.

As a dependent, you are not required to work. My wife hasn't worked at all in the past six years. You can study or sit on the couch and eat bonbons all day.

As a primary applicant in an EB case, you are under no obligation to work a single day until the adjustment is approved, but praticality may dictate otherwise.

TheRealCanadian said:
As a primary applicant in an EB case, you are under no obligation to work a single day until the adjustment is approved, but praticality may dictate otherwise.

could you please explain this sentence further. i understand that GC is for future job, so as long as you can proof that company is willing to give you a job when you get GC, you are fine. however, a 2 year program does not end when you receive an approval for you to immediately join the company that sponsors you. what did you exactly mean by "practicality" then - did you just mean it is easier to answer an RFE if you are employed rather than asking the sponsoring eployer for it when you are at school? thanks,

Scotgirl said:

does this mean that after approval one can study full time leaving their job for which they got the GC in the first place. or one can study full time and do part-time work in the field of GC

oleoleole said:
what did you exactly mean by "practicality" then - did you just mean it is easier to answer an RFE if you are employed rather than asking the sponsoring eployer for it when you are at school?

That's pretty much it. It's difficult to find an employer who is willing to commit to hire you at a date several months or years out in the future.

The other aspect to this is providing evidence to USCIS in terms of the legitimacy of the job offer and the ability to pay the proferred wage. Probably the most powerful evidence you can provide to meet these two criteria is by demonstrating that the employer is already using your services and paying you that wage. This is especially important in cases where there is a small company - if you can demonstrate that they have already been employing you and paying you the LC wage for several months that is very strong evidence.

chefou said:

My son and daugter are going to community college. Our status is like yours. They just showed the college their ead cards.. They even got the in-state tuition.. I think 4 year universities are more strict about this.. They don't understand what pending I-485 means.. They want to see the visa on the passport. my son tried to get in to 4 year university but they didn't accept him because of his status. He didn't have ead card back then, I don't know if it would help.

Working while 485 pending is NOT a must.

I am not working since 8 months. My future company is willing to provide me with all kinds of letters for USCIS. Incase of RFE, i will show them letter for future employment or to be on safe side .. PRODUCE pay stubs for past 2 months. its AC21 case wheras I left primary employer after 180 days.

You will be charged Out-of-State fee in the event you try to enroll without a GC. somebody tell me its not true ....

Cheekoo said:
You will be charged Out-of-State fee in the event you try to enroll without a GC. somebody tell me its not true ....

This varies from state to state. I believe in Georgia so long as you are on H-1 and have been paying state taxes for at least a year you are OK, but it's been a number of years since I was crazy enough to consider going back to school. I knew a TN spouse who sued the California University Board of Regents for the right to pay in-state tuition and lost - the irony is that illegals pay less than legal non-immigrants in CA. Way to go!

ag28 said:
does this mean that after approval one can study full time leaving their job for which they got the GC in the first place. or one can study full time and do part-time work in the field of GC

That's exactly how I understood it from my lawyer - that you can leave and study full time. I was surprised but clarified with my lawyer and she confirmed it.

I-485 and MBA

My I-140 has been approved and my I-485 was filed in March this year. I was wondering if I can go to school for MBA next Fall(with my employer's approval) under a pending I-485 situation.

So if my I-485 does not get approved by Fall next year, can I start working part time(15 to 20 hrs/week) for my current employer and at the same time start the FULL TIME MBA? Will this require any adjustment in the H-1B petition?

thanks..

I-485 and MBA

My I-140 has been approved and my I-485 was filed in March this year. I was wondering if I can go to school for MBA next Fall(with my employer's approval) under a pending I-485 situation.

So if my I-485 does not get approved by Fall next year, can I start working part time(15 to 20 hrs/week) for my current employer and at the same time start the FULL TIME MBA? Will this require any adjustment in the H-1B petition?

thanks..

Hey, I was wondering if you actually did go about completing your education? I am in the exact same situation as you have described here. I am hoping to find some solution. Quite stressed about the situation.
My case was filed in EB-1 category and my I-485 interview is also done. But since the PD is not current I am stuck in the process. The school allows students to pursue degree using EAD, but I am worried about not maintaining employment during this time in case I need to show a proof to respond to any RFE that USCIS might issue.