Can I leave the U.S and return back immediately as a tourist on the same day, if I could not find a job within the grace period(2 months)

mybox65

If I lose my job and I don't find a job within the 2 months, can I leave the U.S and return back immediately as a tourist on the same day (as far as I know, Canadians do not need a visa to travel to the US). Is this unreasonable, will customs officers refuse me to enter U.S.? I just want to get more time to find out a job in the United States. Is it necessary to apply for B1 or B2 visa ?

Last edited:
The officer will likely refuse you entry on the basis that you do not have sufficient ties in Canada. You would be expected to use the grace period to make arrangements to leave or find another job. You could apply for a B2 status, using form I-539, but you would need to remain in US this whole time, including the grace period.

The officer will likely refuse you entry on the basis that you do not have sufficient ties in Canada. You would be expected to use the grace period to make arrangements to leave or find another job. You could apply for a B2 status, using form I-539, but you would need to remain in US this whole time, including the grace period.

Thanks a lot for your kindly help!!! So if I was fired, but as long as I am still in the 2 months of grace period or even on the last day of Grace period, I still can apply for the B2 in the United States.

May I ask how I fill in the reasons for applying for B2? Someone online say don't write "for vacation" or "to look for new job". I checked the I-539 form and sounds it doesn't ask for filling the reason of changing the status from TN to B2. And doesn't ask submit any relevant supporting documents.

@mybox65 did you file for your status change? How did it go? I am in the same situation, please let me know if you have any updates. Thanks