can i get ssn with i551 stamp only?

xxjjccbb

Registered Users (C)
can i get an original ssn with an i551 stamp only (hoping we pass the initial interview) or should i wait for the card itself? :confused:

yahayajp..

tnx for the response.. if i get the stamp.. can i apply for ssn the same day? or should i wait for sometime? i read a post here regarding applying for ssn thru EAD.. they said that it should be at least 14 days old.. im wondering if that time frame also apply with the stamp..

yahayajp..

tnx for the response.. if i get the stamp.. can i apply for ssn the same day? or should i wait for sometime? i read a post here regarding applying for ssn thru EAD.. they said that it should be at least 14 days old.. im wondering if that time frame also apply with the stamp..

You do not need to wait.

You can't get a SSN with the stamp. You have to have the card.

The waiting time begins from the date on the actual card, which you will only receive about 2 weeks later anyway so it wouldn't matter.

tnx for the response.. if i get the stamp.. can i apply for ssn the same day? or should i wait for sometime?
If you get the I-551 stamp at the interview itself, wait a few days if you can, to allow the approval to be fully registered across the immigration databases. The SS office will cross-check with immigration databases, and your SS card could be delayed by several weeks if they don't see your permanent resident status.

But if you don't get the I-551 stamp at the interview, and instead they send you the physical card a few weeks after the interview, by that time it should be OK to go to the SS office immediately.

If you have an EAD, you don't need to wait for green card approval to get your SSN. However, the pre-GC SS card would have an employment restriction printed on it, thus requiring you to visit the SS office again after GC approval to get an unrestricted card.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all your response.. i just want to know how to get ssn asap.. i guess i just have to wait for the result of our interview on the 30th and take it from there.. wish us luck..