1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get married?

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by Angelz, Dec 22, 2016.

  1. Angelz

    Angelz New Member

    Can a Canadian get married in the USA without a stamp in there passport?

    When I came to the USA I came for a Wedding which I did attend then I went to see my USA Boyfriend to meet him in person and feel in love with him and been in the USA for about close to 4 months now.

    We want to get married because we love each other nothing more then that but we are both worried since the USA Border didn't stamp my passport that we might have issues getting married or with any visa/green card or anything else applacations.
  2. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    Marriage and immigration are two separate issues. When getting married, no one will ask you about your immigration status. People fly to the USA to get married, with no problems.

    Just don't overstay, as that will cause you problems for immigration/visits later.
    Angelz likes this.
  3. Angelz

    Angelz New Member

    Okay but a Judge will issue a marriage liscence even without a stamp in my passport? Cause my Boyfriend called the Family Court to see what I would need to show them in order to get one once we are ready to get married ..... They told him all I need is my passport.

    We would like to get married before New Years or our Anniversary when we met on a game if possibile before I have to go back and then start the process of the applacation of Green Cards or such, But I believe I can't travel or move because of that ...... Am I correct on this?
  4. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    As said, immigration status is irrelevant. All you need is some kind of ID, which could be a passport, or maybe they will even accept your provincial driver's license.

    Not sure what your last question means. You can apply for a green card after marrying without going back, in which case you should stay in the US and not leave until it is done. Or you can go back and apply, which is a different and slightly longer process.
    Angelz likes this.
  5. Angelz

    Angelz New Member

    I never drived when I was in Canada I have a Provincial ID Card and my passport which I will take both just incase.

    I would hate to go back and be without my boyfriend so if its possibile that I can do it all from the USA then I will do that I know it has to be over the 30/60/90 Day rule to get married so they don't suspect too much of you coming to the USA & getting married just for the green card and such.

    And believe me thats not our case we met in person, we feel in love with each other and now neither of us want to be without each other.

    Now 1 last question: He is from Texas and has a Texas State ID living in a different state, working, paying bills and living in that state ...... Does he need the current state ID card to get married to me or will they accept his Texas ID?

    When we go out and he gets asked for his ID and I get asked for mine we have no problems
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  6. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    You have just admitted pre-conceived "immigrant intent". I would advise you to go the K-1 route. Like you, I was a Canadian living in Canada in 2002 and went the K-1 route to marry my now USC wife.

  7. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    She is in the US now and so should AOS.
  8. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    Oops...failed to pick that on first read. You are correct. She should AOS after being in the US for at least 90 days.


Share This Page