Can I enter the US from India with a B1/B2 visa issued in Canada?

candyman2121

Hello,

I'm a bit confused regarding this scenario. I lived in Canada for around 4 years and I studied and worked there. I applied for a US visa (b1/b2) in 2014 at Toronto and it was approved with a 10 year validity till 2024. Now I have permanently returned back to India and I wanted to know if I can use the same visa to travel to US next year for holidays. I've always complied with my US visa rules and never overstayed (But only crossed land borders from Ontario to Michigan). I want to know if I can use the same visa which was not issued in India to travel from India to US? I seriously don't want to apply for a new same visa in India since they are much more strict here. Will I have any problem with the CBP at the airport? And will the airlines or Indian immigration create any issues regarding this?

I would really appreciate your replies regarding this.

you are fine as long as you dont plan on overstaying.
Lol, I don't think I would've asked such question if I had intentions of overstaying. Plus, I didn't overstayed last time either. Not everyone is always desperate to overstay their visas. Thanks for your smug reply anyway.

That didn't come across as a smug response.. try not to be too sensitive.

In your own words, getting a visa from India is "much more strict". The reason: plenty of people are in fact desperate to overstay; you may not be.

Your visa is valid regardless where it was issued, but since there has been a material change in circumstances (not living in Canada anymore), be aware of possible CBP scrutiny.

That didn't come across as a smug response.. try not to be too sensitive.

In your own words, getting a visa from India is "much more strict". The reason: plenty of people are in fact desperate to overstay; you may not be.

Your visa is valid regardless where it was issued, but since there has been a material change in circumstances (not living in Canada anymore), be aware of possible CBP scrutiny.

Not being sensitive just pointing out the obvious. I lived in Canada for such a long time and as I mentioned I never overstated and I didn't overstayed on my previous visits to US either. Not everyone is like that.

Hopefully, I don't think that this should be a reason alone for them to deny me entry. Besides that, I will be carrying all crucial things such as bank statements, proof of funds, hotel reservations and return tickets, etc.

Not everyone is denied entry. You had a Canadian work/study visa when the US B2 was issued, which is no longer the case. I am just pointing out you should be aware of possible scrutiny due to the change in circumstances.

Not everyone is denied entry. You had a Canadian work/study visa when the US B2 was issued, which is no longer the case. I am just pointing out you should be aware of possible scrutiny due to the change in circumstances.

Would you suggest any documents that I may carry in order to get through the CBP. Obviously there is no point of applying for a new visa here since I already have a visa stamped for 10 years.

Carry any document that will help prove that you have strong reasons to depart the US in a timely fashion. Pay stub, bank account statement, etc.

Would you suggest any documents that I may carry in order to get through the CBP. Obviously there is no point of applying for a new visa here since I already have a visa stamped for 10 years.