Can I as Belgian Expat in US start an LLC?

kojtl1000

We are here in the US on an L visa and I as a trailing spouse have an L2 visa.
I am currently on a leaf of absence with my Belgian employer. We are both looking for a way to start working remote again here from the US. However, it seems really hard for my employer to get everything arranged from Belgium.
What they proposed earlier was that I would work via an American temporary agency and that they would invoice my Belgian employer. However, all the temporary agencies I started were not really interested in this setup.
Another route we are looking at is that I create my own company here in the US (LLC?) and that I will invoice my Belgian employer directly.
However, I really do not know where to start with this.
- Can I as an expat start a company (the only thing I need to do within this company is make invoices)
- If I can start a company, what type of company would this be? (LLC?)
- what would be the minimum cost be to start such a company?

I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction with this.

Thank you very much.

If you will work remotely for your Belgian employer, I don't understand why you need to go through this drama. Do your job and on a piece of paper each month print an invoice and mail it to your employer. Get paid. Smile and smile again.

There is no reason for you to start a company (I fail to understand why your employer would want you to have a company to send an invoice when you could do that with your name, and in any case, you would need to pay taxes in Belgium on this income). Still, if you wish, you can go to your local town office and register your sole proprietorship under your name (something called doing business as or DBA). In my town it costs $50 for five years, so it should be pretty cheap. The problem with setting up a company like this is that if you work you will be violating terms of your visa and whatever money you get paid will be subject to US taxes. It will be a mess, actually.