Can F1 student get an academic leave for one semester?

flower#1

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I have a question:
Can F1 student take a semester off - academic leave for one semester and come back to finish her education without any problems?

one of my friend's F1 visa is still valid for two more years. She is thinking about going back to her country, get married, stay there for couple of months and come back to States with her husband.

is it possible? what things she has to take into consideration before committing to this? what are the rules and procedures? Has anybody had similar situations? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
She can't stay here during that time, but otherwise its not a problem. She will need a new I-20 but she can use the old visa stamp (as long its not expired). Her husband can get an F-2 stamp and accompany her.

She can't stay here during that time, but otherwise its not a problem. She will need a new I-20 but she can use the old visa stamp (as long its not expired). Her husband can get an F-2 stamp and accompany her.
how does it work?
does she have to get some kind of document from her University before leaving to let them know that she is planning to take a semester off.
Let's say if she leaves right after fall semester ends, can she come back before spring semester ends (even though she in not planning take any classes in spring)
or does she have to wait until summer or fall semester to come back?

do you know any official website that talks about this?
thanks

what kinds of documents she needs to prepare for her future husband?

I hear that now it is hard to get spouse visa, what can be done to improve the chances of her future husband to obtain a visa?

Its not hard at all. The international center of the University will help her with the paperwork. She has to prove she can support her husband financially (bank statements for example) since he will not be able to work.