Can asylees apply for Canadian Green card

Sahil

Hi everyone. I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine and so far I have found it very informative. Like the rest of you here, I am an asylee and was wondering if there would be any problems/repurcussions if I applied for (and accepted) Canadian permanent residency. Do I stand a risk of losing my asylee status ? If yes, how grave would the risk be? How good are the chances of INS finding out about it?
You guys might be wondering why I would want to apply for Canadian Green card. Actually, I wanted to sponsor my parents (who are in my native country)and it is proving impossible to get them a US visa. I could move to Canada if I have to temprorily, but I don\'t want to surrender my claim to the US Green card.
I would really appreciate some suggestion/guidance.

Thanks

No Title

I encourage you to consult an asylum-law attorney before taking this step. Applying for Canadian PR status can seriously jeopardize your asylee status and your ability to adjust.

Good luck.

No Title

I don\'t know how complicated it is and how long it takes to obtain a Canadian greencard, but in the US it can take 4 to 6 years now for an asylee to get his/her greencard. And with the current crisis in the US we don\'t know how immigration laws will change.

Use your local business phone directory and lawyer directory at http://www.ilw.com to find immigration lawyers in your locality. Be cautious of the lawyers that ask for your credit card number before the question is asked. And be objective with your questions. Your questions, to my understanding are:

(1) You want to sponsor your parents to the US, but your asylee status will not allow it or the application process will take too much time. Would you still want to apply for Canadian PR status if a lawyer can find you other ways to bring your parents to the US? And define "bring to the US." As in, do you want them to briefly visit you here or you want them to settle here for good?

(2) Ask the lawyer what will happen to your asylee status and your pending I-485 application when you apply for Canadian PR status? Also the same question, but what happens after your Canadian PR application is approved.

I am not giving you any legal advise, but to express my opinion I don\'t think the INS will penalize you for just applying for Canadian PR status. Because you are only applying for it and have not been approved for Canadian PR status yet. But I think it will be different when you have been approved for Canadian PR status because you now have a safe 3rd party country to resttle in.

A Lawyer\'s professional leagal advise is much valuable than the information you will find here NOT only because he knows the immigration laws better than the rest of us, also when he gives you an answer he will stand by that answer and fight for you if the court in the need arises.

I hope you find a well qualified lawyer because he/she will need to know the details of the asylee third-party country resettlement issues. It would be best if you can find a local lawyer because if there is the needto argue in an immigration court you do not have to pay the lawyer\'s travel expenses.

You don\'t have to follow all my opinions, but I think you can just call the NSC Help line and ask this question. It is not like you have already applied for the Canadian PR status or it is already been approved right? You are just thinking of applying for it and no "thought Police" will arrest you for your thoughts :)

No Title

COngratulations tinkud6. For other visitors\' benefit can you kindly post the following dates in the chronological order?

The date you applied for I-485
The date you were called for fingerprint
The date you were called for interview (if there was any)
The date INS stamped your I-94 or passport.

The following link will give you information on the answer you are seeking.

http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/asylrefs/ar065.htm

Canadia green card

I asked several lawers and they have different answers. Some of them think i will not effect your asylee stutus but some of think it very risy to lse status.

No Title

Did you get your GC through asylum or Employment?. See below messages you have recently posted.

Most recent posts by tinkud6
WOW ! I-485 approved. - 11:06pm Oct 20, 2001 EST - My wife came to US on H-4, but it expired as per her I-94 on May 2000,
Now she is on valid H-1 which expires on Jan 02..no H-1 stamp on her passport
We got 485 recpts and waiting for AP and EAD and wants to go to India next month
Can she enter into US on AP?? she don\'t want to use EAD now.
I have valid H-1(stamp on my passport)..I don\'t want to use my EAD now
the question is....can I enter on my H-1 and while she enter on AP??..
AP Question...... - 01:08pm Oct 22, 2001 EST - My wife came to US on H-4, but it expired as per her I-94 on May 2000,
We got 485 recpts and waiting for AP and EAD and wants to go to India next month
IIO refused to give case information - 06:09pm Oct 15, 2001 EST -
Thread for July I485 mailers - 01:03am Oct 12, 2001 EST -
Thread for July I485 mailers - 01:02am Oct 12, 2001 EST -

Keywords: tinkud6
  I think - gcneed Oct 22, 2001 06:01 pm
Tinkud6 , I think your Wife can use AP to enter and you can use your H1 to enter,and work on H1 , Now if at all your wife wants to work she need to use her EAD as her H status is superseeded . On the other hand if you( primary applicant) use your EAD , then your\' family should use their AP to travel irrespective they have or used their EAD
So answers to your questions
Yes she can enter on AP as she has not VISA stamp, if she gets H1 stamp she can enter on H1 as she hasn\'t still used her EAD.

Yes you can use your H1 to enter , eventhough your wife using AP to enter...

AP Question...... - tinkud6 Oct 22, 2001 01:08 pm
My wife came to US on H-4, but it expired as per her I-94 on May 2000,

Maggie...do U have any idea on this?? - tinkud6 Oct 20, 2001 11:06 pm
My wife came to US on H-4, but it expired as per her I-94 on May 2000,

some desis are like that,..try one more time..most of the people r helpful - tinkud6 Oct 15, 2001 06:09 pm

PCee: My WAC # 01-293..pl add.. - tinkud6 Oct 12, 2001 01:03 am

Good Job ::pcee - tinkud6 Oct 12, 2001 01:02 am

deep: where do U live??in which city?? - tinkud6 Oct 4, 2001 11:45 pm

Hello: where do U live?? - tinkud6 Oct 4, 2001 09:37 pm

Good News:: - tinkud6 Oct 4, 2001 09:36 pm

Carter Yen: East Bay means where exactly ur living?? which city?? - tinkud6 Oct 4, 2001 09:04 pm

New thread for June, 2001 I-485 Mailers to CSC #165 - PCee Oct 3, 2001 12:11 pm
tinkud6,
If you read all my postings in this thread you will understand my saga. Yes, 180 days rules counts from RD. If you are represented by an attorney (proper G-28 is filed along with your I-485) then yes, your attorney need to call INS to enquire any thing about your case...

Interview in SJ #21 - tinkud6 Oct 2, 2001 11:44 pm
CIBA:
As per Fed Ex CSC recd my 485 packet on 7/19/01
but they put RD as 8/27 and ND as 9/24..
need ur advise on how to correct this??
180 days rule and EAD counts from RD..right??..

New thread for June, 2001 I-485 Mailers to CSC #163 - tinkud6 Oct 2, 2001 10:10 pm
Thank U PCee:
when did U mailed???6/29/01???why it took 3 months for U??
my ND also 9/24...but wac # 01-293...so we r very close
180 rule and EAD counts from from RD right??
I spoke to one Desi yesterday...very rude reply..I felt very bad..he said ask ur lawyer to call us...he didn\'t spend 1 mintute..nasty guy..

New thread for June, 2001 I-485 Mailers to CSC #153 - PCee Oct 1, 2001 12:33 pm
tinkud6,
In the recent past I saw few cases where CSC put different RD than the actual one. What is your ND? If you got proper ND (comapre to others who mailed around your MailDate) then probably that RD error may not be a big problem...

As per Fed Ex they got my file on 7/19/01..but they put RD as 8/27 - tinkud6 Sep 28, 2001 06:40 pm
is thesere anyway to coreect this???