Can a person hold both L1 and H1 Visas ???

M2M

Currently I am on L1-B Visa. Would my L1 visa become invalid if another employer files my H1 ???

I know one can have multiple H1's but can a person hold both L1 and H1 visas together ???

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only have an I-94 indicating one status and the most recent I-94 controls what status you are in. You cannot be in both H-1 and L-1 status at the same time.

Does this mean that I can still have another employer file my H1 and INS would not have any technical objection in approving it (I have the necessary degrees and skills).

I can then go back to my country and return back on the new approved H1 visa ?

Could somebody pls suggest if I am correct in my understanding ??

Thx~M2M

When INS approves your H1 (L1 is not reason for them not to),
your status will change, and your approval notice would include the new I94. You cannot work on your L1 job anymore.

I am not a lawyer, so take it for what it is worth.

Now if only someone would answer my L2/EAD renewal question.
:(

Mallusan is correct if the petition is filed a change of status. If it is not, you will need to leave the US, obtain an H-1 visa stamp, and reenter on the H-1 visa stamp to assume H-1 status.

L1 to H1

What if an employer has applied for L1 and another emplyee applies for H1. L1 come early and I start working on L1. And say I got my H1 Visa on October and I am still on L1. By this time I will only get H1 approval and has only L1 stamping.
My query is :

1. In this scenerio I can work on L1 even though H1 approval is there.
2. I can go back to my country and come back on H1 by cancelling L1 and stamping H1.

Will I hv any problems in doing so??