California Service Center Inquiry Procedure

gp111

Registered Users (C)
General Inquiry Procedure

The following is a description of the inquiry procedure in place at the CSC to deal with problem cases, including but not limited to cases that are beyond normal processing times. These procedures have been developed by CSC over the years to address emerging situations. Thus, like the immigration laws themselves, they have become rather complex. Note that there are special procedures for a variety of situations, so please review the full instructions carefully before proceeding with an inquiry. Also, please note that the CSC Guidelines are posted on InfoNet (see under Related Links to the right below) and contain invaluable information for any practitioner filing cases at the CSC.The Guidelines include filing instructions, important addresses, the policy regarding requests for expedited processing etc.

A case pending at the CSC is considered to be beyond normal processing times if the Just in Time Report (JIT Report) is 30 days beyond the date on the receipt notice. If the pending case is beyond normal processing times, you must follow the steps below in order to obtain assistance. Please note, after each step, you need to call INS Direct (an automated telephone inquiry line) at (949) 831-8427 to make sure that your matter is still pending.

Step 1: Use a CSC Fax Inquiry Sheet and fax it to the CSC division with jurisdiction over the case type. The fax numbers for each division are noted on the CSC Fax Inquiry Sheet.

Division I: I-131, I-140, I-360, I-526, I-829

Division II: I-102, I-129, I-539

Division III: I-129F, I-130, I-751

Division IV: I-90SAW, I-765, I-821TPS, I-817, N-400

Division V: I-90, Waivers (212/612), I-824, I-881 NACARA

Step 2: *If no response is received to the first fax inquiry by the end of the tenth business day, send a second fax to the Assistant Center Director (ACD) for the appropriate CSC division to the fax number noted on the “CSC Fax Inquiry Sheet.”

Step 3: If no response is received to the second fax inquiry by the end of the fifth business day, fax the Ombudsman in the office of the Director at the number noted on the “CSC Fax Inquiry Sheet. “

Final Step: If no response is received to the third fax inquiry by the end of the third business day, you have one of two options. You can call the Duty Officer in the office of the Director at (949) 389-3007

*Level 2 Inquiries

Cases which are beyond normal processing times and for which a level one inquiry (see Step 1 under General Inquiry Procedure) is unanswered after 15 business days;

Cases for which 60 days have elapsed from the date a response to a Request for Evidence (RFE) was received, and for which a level one inquiry (see Step 1 under General Inquiry Procedure) is unanswered after 15 business days;
Cases where a beneficiary will age-out within six months and for which a level one inquiry (see Step 1 under General Inquiry Procedure) is unanswered after 15 business days.
Step 1: If your case falls under one of the three categories described immediately above complete and fax a “Level Two Inquiry” form to the CSC Ombudsman at (949) 389-3441.

Step 2: If no response to your “Level Two Inquiry” form is received after 15 business days you can call the Duty Officer in the office of the Director at (949) 389-3007 .

Corrections

Receipt notices: It is important to check receipt notices as you receive them to make sure that the petitioner’s, beneficiary’s or applicant’s name is spelled correctly. If you notice a typographical error on the receipt notice, complete a “CSC Request for Correction” sheet and fax it to the CSC Records Support Line at (949) 389-3493. This will allow the CSC to correct the error prior to the issuance of the approval notice.

Approval Notices: *If an approval notice is received containing incorrect information, based on an INS error, prepare and fax a “California Service Center Fax Inquiry Sheet” form, following the general inquiry procedure described above, to the division responsible for the error.

*Approval Notices from Division II: Because of space constraints, the CSC sends approved cases from Division II (I-129s, etc.) to storage in Virginia 21 days from approval. Because of this short-time frame, you must review all approvals from Division II as soon as they arrive to check for errors.

Fingerprints for Pending I-485 Applications

Fingerprint Inquiry Procedure: The following inquiry procedures applies if 120 days have passed from the date that the I-485 was issued and the applicant still has not received a fingerprint appointment:

Step 1: Complete the “CSC Fingerprint Inquiry Form” and fax it to (949) 389-3055.

Step 2: If you do not receive a reply after 10 business days, fax a second request to (949) 389-3486.

Step 3: If you do not receive a reply after 5 business days, you can call the Duty Officer in the office of the Director at (949) 389-3007.

Special Inquiry Forms for Division III

Division III has developed two special forms to be used in the processing of I-130 petitions at the CSC. The “I-130 Lawful Permanent Resident Upgraded to USC Fax Sheet” should be faxed to Division III when the petitioner of a pending I-130 has become a citizen of the United States. The form should be faxed to (949) 389-3485. The Coversheet titled “Upgraded Petitions” should be placed on top of all I-130’s filed on behalf of beneficiaries who are no longer eligible for derivative status, but were listed as derivatives on an I-130 petition either pending or approved by the CSC.

Attached Forms

California Service Center Fax Inquiry Sheet
California Service Center Level Two Inquiry
CSC Request for Correction
CSC Fingerprint Inquiry Form
I-130 Lawful Permanent Resident Upgraded to USC Fax Sheet
Upgraded Petitions Coversheet
CSC Form to Withdraw I-485

CSC Organization

Management
Center Director, Donald Neufeld
Deputy Director, Christine Poulos
Ombudsman, Laura Cavalier
Assistant Center Director, Division I, Nancy Albi *
Assistant Center Director, Division II, Ron Johnson
Assistant Center Director, Division III, Stephen Brickett
Assistant Center Director, Division IV, Joseph Hackbarth
Assistant Center Director, Division V, Manuel Gomez

*Nancy Albi is acting for Assistant Center Director Barbara Velarde who will resume her position at the end of July 2002.

Divisions
Division I: I-131, I-140, I-360, I-485, I-526, I-829
Division II: I-102, I-129, I-539, Premium Processing
Division III: I-129F, I-130, I-751
Division IV: I-765, I-821TPS, I-817, N-400, Legalization, I-90SAW
Division V: I-90, Waivers, I-824, I-881 NACARA

Please note, after each step, you need to call INS Direct (an automated telephone inquiry line) at (949) 831-8427 to make sure that your matter is still pending.

This number has been disconected for quite some time now.

Dani said:
Please note, after each step, you need to call INS Direct (an automated telephone inquiry line) at (949) 831-8427 to make sure that your matter is still pending.

This number has been disconected for quite some time now.

use the Customer Support Number