California Driver's License w/ I-140?

Jack0381

Registered Users (C)
Hi, Im a new member on this forum, and Im pretty unfamiliar with the naturalization process and especially the terminology used here. So sorry if this is an issue discussed before (I used the search function but wasnt sure if past posts involved the same situation as mine)

Well I just recently turned 19 and am residing the US "illegally" technically, ever since my family's lawyer missed the deadline to renew our visas.
But recently my father received the I-140 after it was sent to Texas for review, and I am wondering now if this is enough documentation along with my social security number to get a California driver's license.
ANY information on this will be GREATLY appreciated

IT's not enough

IT's not enough.I went to DMV,Hayward for renew my Arkansas Drivers license to California on MArch'2nd'2006

I shown them my EAD(Temp work permit card).They took a copy and sent my info to home land security.I didn't know this.I called them after 4 weeks,they said we just approval mail from home land security on ur EAD

You need any visa or work permit to get license.

subba1974 said:
IT's not enough.I went to DMV,Hayward for renew my Arkansas Drivers license to California on MArch'2nd'2006

I shown them my EAD(Temp work permit card).They took a copy and sent my info to home land security.I didn't know this.I called them after 4 weeks,they said we just approval mail from home land security on ur EAD

You need any visa or work permit to get license.

Can u explain little clear? I am also in same boat. I am planning to relocate to CA in June. I have a driver license valid till 2011 from the state where I am living now. I am in AOS satus (485 pending) now with valid EAD card. I do not have H1B visa anymore.

In this situation what is the procedure to get the CA driver license? Their web site shows EAD is sufficient. (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP)

What is the problem in getting the license in CA for peoples like us? How much period they will give license? Is it till the expiry date of EAD card? If so, are we required to renew the license every year?

I have just renewed my license in the current state. They have given till 2011 with out asking any evidence for legal status. Why CA is different?

can_card said:
Can u explain little clear? I am also in same boat. I am planning to relocate to CA in June. I have a driver license valid till 2011 from the state where I am living now. I am in AOS satus (485 pending) now with valid EAD card. I do not have H1B visa anymore.

In this situation what is the procedure to get the CA driver license? Their web site shows EAD is sufficient. (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP)

What is the problem in getting the license in CA for peoples like us? How much period they will give license? Is it till the expiry date of EAD card? If so, are we required to renew the license every year?

I have just renewed my license in the current state. They have given till 2011 with out asking any evidence for legal status. Why CA is different?

So many illegal in CA. That is why it is different.

My wife just lost her license which was renewed few months ago. We came to the DMV office.
They asked "SSN card", "legal document = approval notice to prove you are legally here with picture on it . aka EAD, I797 approval notice ...". All name MUST be matched between those.

Note that my wife got CA driver licences for more than 6 years already and still get the same questions, document and stuffs.